“The Phantom of the Opera” still haunts as a classic novel

The Phantom of the Opera is not only the longest running musical on broadway, starting in 1988, but is also a classic book written by the famous french author, Gaston Leroux. The book was translated and published in 1990 as a Bantam book, originally published in Paris in 1910. The average price for a paperback is $7.15, and $.99 for kindle.

The Phantom in the school’s library. Photo by: Caitlin Garrett

Junior Kayla Pugh spoke admiringly on behalf of the play, but also pointed out the less-than-modern diction used.  “At first it was hard to understand, but near the end you could catch up to it,” said Pugh.

Beginning in the famous Paris Opera, there’s a legend about a horrifying ghost that lingers around the theater. When Christine Daae, a girl who seemed to have been touched by the ‘Angel of Music,’ rises in stardom, strange things start to occur. At times, Daae has disappeared in the middle of a performance and leaves the Opera flabbergasted. These strange occurrences help create suspense in the book.

Because of several unexpected events in the plot, it makes for a very engaging to read. Sometimes, it may be a little difficult to understand due to the old style of writing. A past childhood friend of Daae, Raoul, saw her in a performance one night, and, remembering the fun times, decides to confess his love to her.

However, he wasn’t the only one to hold feelings for Daae, and again she disappears- this time, not returning. Thereon, Raoul goes on a frantic search to rescue her from the phantom and is forced to go through many near-death experiences just to get to her. This part shows how much he loves Daae and it helps lighten up the mood.
The book ends on a sad note that leaves many readers heartbroken. The plot keeps the reader on edge for the final unsuspecting tragic twist.