The Farm Show: A simple pastime in Pennsylvania

Photo By: Matt Mitzel. Visitors watched many chicks, such as these, hatching before their eyes.
 Due to the large farming population in Pennsylvania, the Pennsylvania Farm Show was a highly anticipated event held on January 5-12 at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex and Expo Center in Harrisburg.

The farm show featured a variety of shows ranging from farm animals to farm vegetables, fruits, and nuts.  There was a $10 parking fee, but admission was free. Attendees enjoyed free Wi-Fi in the Main Hall, sought-after food in the Food Court, and the new “state of the art sound system,” recently set up in the show areas.
Most of the people attending came to watch the variety of entertainment that the animals provided. The entertainment included live birthing, judging, and competitions.
The High School Rodeo is an organization of students in junior and senior high school who are given a chance to excel in the sport. Senior Madeline Berg, and horse advocate, attended the farm show. “I liked walking around and just seeing the different parts of it,” said Berg.

Other forms of entertainment were also available to watch. Examples were Draft Horse Hitched Classes, Horse Pulling Contests, Draft Horse Pleasure shows, etc.

Photo By: Matt Mitzel. Draft Horses were paraded around the arena showing off their skills.

Aspects such as the rodeo were a huge part of the farm show, but food was also highly anticipated this year.

The new and distinct food that has been introduced had people drooling over the memories and daydreaming about tasting the new items.  Some of the new items were veal sliders, the pork barbecue sandwich, and the pork barbecue on nachos and cheese; all were all available at the Pennsylvania Expo Stand.

Photo By: Matt Mitzel. The annual butter sculpture has brought visitors to the farm show for many years.

Marie Stacharowski, a faculty member from the cafeteria, attended the show and raved about the food.

“[The food was] great, especially the Pork Barbecue sandwich,” explained Stacharowski. “The veal-sliders were the biggest hit.”

Everyone, ranging from babies to senior citizens, enjoyed the live shows, and the wide variety of food.