Alumni Spotlight – Dr. Kimberly (Smith) Lumsden, MD ’99

June 14, 2017

Alumni Spotlight - Dr. Kimberly (Smith) Lumsden, MD 99

Susquehannock graduate Dr. Kim (Smith) Lumsden, a member of the Class of 1999, is a medical doctor specializing in family medicine at WellSpan Family Medicine Roosevelt Avenue in York, PA. She is a 2003 graduate of Norfolk State University, where she majored in chemistry, and Pennsylvania State University, where she earned her PhD in molecular medicine.

During her years at Susquehannock, Kim was a member of National Honor Society and the Envirothon Team.  She also received two academic bars and was a member of Susquehannock’s first swim team during her senior year in 1999.  “My daughter was swimming recently at the YMCA in Shrewsbury, and I saw some records from our first year that are still on the record board,” Lumsden said.

Kim credits her Susquehannock chemistry teacher, Mr. Leese, for inspiring her to pursue chemistry as a college major, which started her down the career path to where she is today.  Another teacher who impacted Kim during her time at Susquehannock was her Spanish teacher Mrs. Kreeger, who battled bladder cancer while Kim was her student.  “I was impressed by Mrs. Kreeger’s perseverance as she was fighting the disease but still teaching us,” said Kim.  “That was amazing.”

Kim earned a full academic scholarship to Norfolk State University in Norfolk, Virginia, for minorities pursuing applied science degrees.  After completing her undergraduate degree, she immediately began medical school, studying at the Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA.  She graduated with a PhD in molecular medicine before completing her residency in family medicine at York Hospital.  Today, Dr. Lumsden practices at WellSpan Family Medicine Roosevelt Avenue in York, PA.

Kim met her husband, Dr. Nicholas Lumsden, at Norfolk State University as an undergraduate, where he was also a recipient of the scholarship program.  Both husband and wife work as physicians, with Nicholas practicing family medicine at WellSpan Stonebridge Health Center in New Freedom, PA.  The couple has two daughters, Summer and Ruby.  “I work three days a week, part time, so I am able to take care of our daughters,” said Kim.  “One of my goals in life is to raise smart, environmentally- and socially-conscious children who will be able to be independent thinkers,” she said.

According to Kim, one of the most memorable things about high school was a school trip to Mexico.    “The trip was a great memory and opportunity to experience a different culture with my high school friends,” she said.  And although the swim team was just getting started, Kim got to travel with the team to the PIAA State Championship swim meet, where she qualified as an alternate.  Kim is still Warrior Proud, as she enjoyed following the recent success of the girls basketball team and their PIAA State Championship Tournament run this past season.

When asked of her advice for recent Susquehannock graduates, Kim encouraged them to live in the moment.  “Know what your goals are and work hard towards them, but take time to appreciate the exciting phase of life you are now experiencing,” said Kim.  “Don’t be so focused on your goals that you forget to enjoy your life right now,” she added.

Helping people is one of Kim’s passions.  “I would like to make the world a better place by helping to prevent disease, to aid in making people healthier in and out of the workplace, and to give back to the community,” said Kim.  “I would also love to see the world and do more traveling,” she added.

Thank you to Dr. Kim Lumsden for making us Warrior Proud!