Dick Clark is remembered

Traditions: This ball is dropped every year the minute before the New Year. Photo by: SimonPix (Wikimedia).

This year, “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” was without its longtime host, the late Dick Clark.  Television host and radio personality Ryan Seacrest, actress Jenny McCarthy, and singer Fergie all hosted this year’s edition.  Senior Sarah Tyler found Seacrest to be a good choice for this special.   “I think Ryan Seacrest did a really good job…because he is a…great public speaker,” said Tyler.  The show began at 8:00 p.m. on December 31, 2012 this year and ended around 3:00 a.m. January 1, 2013.  The trio of entertainers introduced musical performances that were all leading up to the annual ball drop, which occurred during the last minute of 2012.
Musical performances on the east coast included Psy, Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jepsen, Neon Trees, and Train.  On the west coast, Jason Aldean, Flo Rida, Ellie Goulding, Karmin, The Wanted, Greyson Chance, Pitbull, Brandy, and OneRepublic performed.  In addition to live musical entertainment, clips and shorts featuring Clark were shown in remembrance.  Teacher Scott McLaughlin enjoyed Clark’s segments.   “[The tribute] showed a little more about his personality, [and] the kind of person he was,” said McLaughlin.  “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” was different this year, but it gave the audience a chance to see clips of Clark from past years.

Happy New Year: The streets of Times Square after the New Year’s Eve party is finished. Photo by: Maria Azzurra Mugnai (Wikimedia)

Sources
http://www.billboard.com/news/dick-clark-s-new-year-s-rockin-eve-a-special-1008064022.story#/news/dick-clark-s-new-year-s-rockin-eve-a-special-1008064022.story