Susquehannock Field Hockey to Host First Annual Alumni Field Hockey Game

May 11, 2017

The Susquehannock High School Field Hockey program is hosting its first annual Susquehannock High School Alumni Field Hockey Game on Saturday, August 5, 2017. The event will begin at 10:00 a.m. on the Susquehannock Field Hockey Field, which is located next to the Robert E. Lau Memorial Field.

The game is open to Susquehannock field hockey alumni as well as current players including high school, middle school, and elementary levels.  Donations from the event will benefit Keystone Pet Enhanced Therapy Services (K-PETS), a local non-profit pet therapy network which provides services to facilities and agencies in South Central Pennsylvania and Northern Maryland.

Students Lauren Schefter and Madison Bateman came up with the idea for the alumni field hockey game and organized the project during Southern Middle School’s “Genius Hour.”  The “Genius Hour” is a 30 minute period several times during the week which allows students to follow their passions and enables them to experience authentic learning projects.  “We have both been playing field hockey since elementary school, so we knew we wanted to do something related to field hockey,” Schefter said.  “By planning the alumni game and bringing it to reality, we learned how to set up a community event by collaborating with teachers, coaches, our athletic director, and the t-shirt company,” said Schefter.  “We learned how to be more organized and how to use resources which were available to us,” she said.

Admission to the alumni game is $2.00 for adults and students.  The registration fee is $20 and includes a t-shirt.  Registration and payment are due June 16, 2017.  To register for the event or to find out more information, please click here.