The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

Senior Advice: Don’t be Afraid to be Busy

Kelcie Baker, Reporter

By the time senior year comes around, it is very easy to be 100% done with high school. Being stuck in the same building seven hours a day, five days a week gets extremely old, so it is no secret that seniors are ready to graduate and leave high school behind them.

Being involved in the pit orchestra for all four years of high school has been one of my most favorite high school events. Photo by: Kelcie Baker.

The biggest reason why senior year is so frustrating is because of all of the stress. Between college applications, scholarships, and all of the deadlines, people easily forget to do things that you actually enjoy.

People always told me that senior year would be the easiest, but it has actually been the opposite.  There is so much stress going on that it is hard to sit back and enjoy the things that mean the most.

I do not mean high school classes; let us face it-no one is really going to miss those.  After having so many of them throughout high school, it is hard to remember all of them. The activities I am going to miss are the things that made me so busy over the years.

I got to go to New York City due to my involvement with the music department which is one of my memorable events from high school. Photo by: Kelcie Baker.

As a music student, I have been involved in the musicals along with other smaller orchestra ensembles, and they have made high school so much more enjoyable.

I can not stress enough how important it is to be involved.  If you do not join activities that are enjoyable to you, then high school is just all about due dates and class work.  

Being involved is the best way to make friends and actually enjoy school.  

It has always been hard to find the motivation to get up and go to school, but if you take the time to join music ensembles, sports, and clubs, it makes school something to look forward to.  

Having orchestra during the day was a great way to split up my day and have a break from some of the boring classes by being involved in something that actually made me happy.

The biggest advice I can give underclassmen is to find something that you love and get involved in it.  I know that being involved can make your life hectic, but these extra activities are what make high school a better place.

At the end of the day when you have graduated and are looking back at your time in this place, you are not going to remember every single class and teacher, but you are going to remember the activities that made you happy.  High school may be stressful, but if you enjoy what you are doing, all of the stress will be worth it.