Art Students Discuss the Concept of Inspiration

The library is currently displaying a variety of different pieces from the art students. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

By Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Inspiration is a concept that many people find they use without realizing it. Recently, English and art classes have discussed the idea of inspiration and what it means to the students of Susquehannock.

The belief of inspiration found only in creative people is a common argument. Creativity can be found in anyone; therefore, inspiration can be found in anyone. Despite everyone being subject to inspiration, musicians, artists and writers tend to be the most creative people.

Many of Susquehannock’s writers and artists get inspired by the life around them.

Senior Sharon Nelson is an artist who finds pleasure in painting in her free time and believes anyone can be inspired from the life around them.

Senior Sharon Nelson finds inspiration from her friends and family around her and holds up a recent piece of hers. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

“[I’m inspired by] surroundings. If I like a color, I’ll probably do something with it. If I find a canvas, I’ll find something to fit in it,” said Nelson. “The common [inspiration] comes from the people around you or the experiences you have in life… If you’re good at something, you get inspired to do it.”

Senior Dana Harpster is an admired artist at Susquehannock who is inspired to create a wide variety of creative pieces and finds her own happiness to be her greatest inspiration.

“[People find inspiration from] the regular people around them and their environment,” said Harpster. “[I find inspiration from] my own happiness… and usually what I find beautiful.”

A common argument regarding the topic of inspiration is the subject of motivation. What’s the difference between motivation and inspiration? Some people often find them to be the same, while others believe there is a major difference between the two.

“[Inspiration] is something that gives people the incentive to do stuff they enjoy,” said Nelson. “You can have inspiration, the idea to do something, but not really get up and do it. Motivation is when you want to do something, but you have no clue what it is you want to do.”

Many believe that inspiration and motivation power each other.

Senior Dana Harpster draws inspiration from the life around her and holds up her recent piece depicting the moon. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

“I feel like inspiration is to make something and motivation is to do something,” said Harpster. “[Inspiration] is something that sparks someone’s will into making them do something.”

In their most recent unit, English 12 classes have gone over the concept of inspiration and how it ties into creativity and motivation.

English teacher Timothy Hare believes everyone finds inspiration in their own unique way, whether it be through a written work or a piece of art.

“To me, inspiration is the feeling that you get and the motivation you get to do something amazing. Whether it’s creative or physical, whether it’s a written work or a drawing, it’s the movement that you get that allows you to do something special,” said Hare. “There are so many things that people can draw inspiration from. It can be another person, it can be a moment that happened in their life; it can be an event. It could be something where they have a deep desire to do something great, or it could just be finding peace in a quiet moment that can typically be seen as mundane but you just happen to see the beauty. That’s where I see a lot of artists find their inspiration. They find beauty in simplicity.”

Students continue to find inspiration from the life around them and aspire to create new pieces to feature in the school.