The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

Should the Princesses Live “Happily Ever After”?

Photo by: FirstDisney (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

In recent years, there has been a stigma against Disney and most specifically the Disney Princesses.

Many have considered them to be the ideal anti-feminists, being bad role models for young children – specifically little girls.

Countless sources have ranked the Princesses from least to most feminist, with the last place winners going to Aurora from Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Cinderella, only because they are beautiful and love a man.

Critics say that because the princesses have to be saved by a Prince Charming, they “have less autonomy than a chair.”

However, they are not being forced to succumb to a man, and sometimes it takes a special person to lift another out of a dark state, man or not.

Most all of the princesses are living in an abusive household, are struggling to find themselves, or  are knocking down boundaries.

The Princesses’ quests for true love teach little children to find happiness, how to love another, and to look for light in a period of darkness.

Life lessons are intertwined into Disney movies by both the Princesses themselves as well as the other characters.

Children are taught kindness, love for animals in movies such as Cinderella and Snow White, bravery and pride in movies such as Brave and Mulan, and that reading is cool – thanks to Belle.

People say that the male characters are the ones who steal the show and exhibit more positive traits.

The bottom line is, the gender of the character doesn’t matter, it is the lessons that they teach that do, which means a little girl can learn just as much from a male character as they could a female one.

It’s just like saying a child’s father can’t possibly teach them about life on the sole basis of being male.

One also needs to keep in mind most of these movies were made between the 1950s and early 2000s.

Then, there was no feminist movement and times were very different.

Today, there are women skip work and form protests to demand rights they already have, often leaving out transgender women, more conservative women, and those who live in third world countries.

Instead of leaving a job, why don’t you realize that in some countries, women can’t even leave their house without a male counterpart?

In addition, most critics weren’t even alive when most of the “anti-feminist” movies were even made, so why focus on the past?

Stop reading too much into the culture of the Disney Princesses, and we will live happily ever after.