Seat Belt Wearing Competition Encourages Students to Buckle Up

Posters around the school are encouraging students to buckle up and drive. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

By Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Susquehannock has recently signed up to take part in a Seat Belt Wearing Competition.

Students are encouraged to wear their seat belts while driving throughout the whole month of March in order to help their school win $500 from the competition.

Physical education teacher Doug Truscott has encouraged his classes to spread the word of the competition and believes this is an effective way to persuade students to wear their seat belts.

“[The Seat Belt Wearing Competition] is about encouraging and trying to make students more aware of wearing a seat belt, and just being conscious of buckling up every time they drive,” said Truscott.

The York Traffic Safety is in charge of the competition and records which participating schools have the highest percentage of students who wear their seat belts.

“The York Traffic Safety runs this every year and, they ask if you want to participate. They come and have someone simply look in the parking lot before March, and they take a percentage of students who are exiting the parking lot,” said Truscott. “Our pre-competition was 79% of students who wore a seat belt, and then sometime in the month of March they’ll send another person out to the parking lot… and they’ll see if we improve.”

Schools all across York and Adams County are participating in the competition. The final results will be announced in early April.