Artist of the Week: Zach Robinson

By Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Senior Zach Robinson spends time in the morning working on his current project in Art Seminar. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

Dark themes and vibrant paintings are a few of the ways senior Zach Robinson expresses himself through his artwork. Finding time throughout the day to work on projects, he views art to be a relaxing and enjoyable hobby.

Robinson first had an interest in the arts back in seventh grade when he began working on more complex projects. He found that these new complexes intrigued him and sparked a new interest in him. By the end of the eighth grade, he couldn’t put his pencil down.

“I started drawing in seventh grade when we started doing real art classes, and in eighth grade I really got into it,” said Robinson.

In eighth grade, Robinson was intrigued by his art classes and preferred to work on a variety of different pieces while also trying new techniques. He began drawing people and got a few inspirations from video games, including dark themes such as grim reapers.

So far, Robinson has taken up eight different art classes at Susquehannock. A few of his inspirations are close friends of his and art teacher Wesley Myers.

“I would definitely say that Sharon Nelson, Dana Harpster, Daehuan Gray and Mr. Myers are inspirations to me,” said Robinson. “There was also this one artist who used to be an animator. He’s a Youtuber now, and he has a channel called DrawWithJazza.”

This design of the grim reaper is currently Robinson’s favorite piece of his. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

After adjusting himself to the world of art, Robinson has worked on many different projects throughout the years. His most recent project in Art Seminar is currently is favorite.

“It’s a big mashup of mythology, and I just really want to make a really dramatic scene that I haven’t been able to do before,” said Robinson. “I think my favorite piece so far, excluding my current project, is my grim reaper. I never saw the grim reaper as someone who goes around killing people. I saw him as just a balance… I like the detail of the drawing the most.”

After graduation, Robinson has made plans to attend Penn State York for two years, transferring to the University Campus for his last two years. He plans to major in pre-med and hopes to help as many people as possible in the future.

Senior Patrick McDonald, a close friend of Robinson’s since the seventh grade, has watched his art grow and become more meaningful.

“I would have to say my favorite piece of Zach’s is the one he’s currently working on, [the mythology project],” said McDonald. “I usually come into study hall every third period and Zach has an art class that period, so I watch him draw.”

Senior Daehuan Gray is another talented artist who enjoys watching Robinson during his free time and likes helping Robinson if he needs any help.

Robinson finds an interest in drawing dark themes, including different types of grim reapers. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

“His art actually inspires me. Every now and then I don’t feel like drawing and then I see Zach, and sometimes he’ll struggle. Whenever he needs help with anything, or needs my guidance, I’ll give him some help,” said Gray. “He’s very creative. He pulls different things together. He pulls different things out of nowhere and creates something great with that.”

Robinson continues to dedicate time into his work while inspiring others and looks forward to continuing his education after graduation at Penn State.