The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

Sorice and Truscott Retire after 33 Years

Sorice (Left) and Truscott (Right)

Sorice (Left) and Truscott (Right)

Sorice (Left) and Truscott (Right)

Autumn Polanowski, Editor

After sharing an office for 33 years, Anthony Sorice and Douglas Truscott are retiring from their teaching positions at Susquehannock High School at the end of this school year.
Since 1986, these two teachers have taught a variety of different subjects at Susquehannock.
Sorice has taught 9th and 11th-grade health classes and all physical education classes offered (except yoga).
Truscott has taught health classes, physical education and driver’s education.
“It’s definitely bittersweet,” said Truscott. “I’ll miss a lot of things. I’m just ready to move onto the next chapter in my life. I’m probably going to miss the kids the most.”
Both teachers were very interested in health and personal fitness. Throughout their years, they have coached many different sports teams.

Sorice coaches his gym class.

Sorice coached junior high football, varsity football, varsity basketball and junior varsity softball.
“I remember in 2001 when the football team was 9 in 1, and we ended up winning our division. That was one of my favorite memories while coaching a sports team,” said Sorice.
Truscott has coached wrestling, cross country, basketball, softball and football.
Truscott and Sorice have considered each other close friends throughout their 33 years of teaching.
“We’ve done everything else together, so why not retire together,” said Sorice.
Truscott feels the same way and is happy that he gets to share this moment with someone he considers as one of his closest friends.
“I think it’s cool, and we’ve been here together the whole time and just kind of going out together. I can’t think of a better guy to share an office with for 33 years and then retire together in the end,” said Truscott.

Truscott teaches his health class.

After retiring they are ready to start the next chapters in their lives and see what the future has to hold.
“I’m ready to do more for myself and spend more time with my family,” said Truscott. “It’s going to be nice to experience something new.” Sorice is also looking forward to a change.
“I’m mainly excited about doing something new and spending time with my family and my kids,” said Sorice. “I get to go out and do something for me which will be nice too. It’s going to be weird not being here every day, but it’s time to start new.”
Students are sad to see them both go, but they hope that both teachers will come back to visit. Seniors hope that they will see them out in the real world.
Senior Carl Ferlitch had Sorice his sophomore year as his health teacher.
“I think it is sad that Sorice is leaving because he’s a really great teacher and also a really great guy,” said Ferlitch.        “He would always talk to his students, it showed that he cares about each of them which is something that I think we all admired.”
When students compare Truscott and Sorice, a majority of them believe that they both are very similar in the way they teach and run their classrooms.

Sorice (Left) and Truscott (Right)

Senior Jacob D’Amore had Truscott for his sophomore and junior year and says that he always mixed up Truscott with Sorice.
“They are both like the same person. They are extremely outgoing and have a great sense of humor with their punny jokes,” said D’Amore. “They have great relationships with their students, I always mix up their names because they are so similar.”
Throughout the years, they have built up many memories that they will never forget.
“We talk about the old days a lot and reminisce about certain kids and about the sports we coach. It’s great, especially since we’ve shared an office together for all of these years.”
Truscott and Sorice are beloved teachers that will be missed at Susquehannock.

14 Comments

14 Responses to “Sorice and Truscott Retire after 33 Years”

1. Austin McCusker on February 8th, 2017 11:40 am

Congratulations coach Sorice and coach Truscott! You have left a legacy at SHS, and countless people are better off for it. Now enjoy retirement!

[Reply]

2. John Cline on February 8th, 2017 11:54 am

To say that they will be missed is an understatement. Two of the best people and teachers without question to ever walk the halls of SHS. On the field they helped shape boys into young men and prepared us for our next chapter in life. Taught us hard work and perseverance. That things aren’t always fair and going to go your way. How to rebound and try again by working harder or working smarter. Subjects and material not only from text books or play books, but real life lessons that we will be forever grateful having learned from them both. Best of Luck Coach Sorice and Coach Truscott, enjoy that next chapter to the fullest. Most importantly THANK YOU for your commitment to your students, your athletes and SHS!

[Reply]

3. Laura Lutz on February 8th, 2017 12:16 pm

Both are phenomenal teachers. I was a student when they began their teaching careers and both have taught my children. I feel we have been blessed as a district to have had them 33 years. Best Wishes to you both with future endeavors.

Laura Lutz
    ’87

[Reply]

4. George gerba on February 8th, 2017 12:22 pm

I worked with these great educators for years. I started in 73-74 school year. Watched this dynamic duo do wonders in the classroom and field. They will be missed by all. Enjoy your new life men!
    George Gerba

[Reply]

5. Eddie Behrens on February 8th, 2017 12:40 pm

Congrats to Coach Sorice and Coach Trescott on great careers at Susquehannock. During my time at Susky, I took every physical education class they had to offer and it was great having these two there to ensure good sportsmanship and provide an atmosphere that gave kids the opportunity to just go out and play and not worry about being judged for their athletic abilities, or lack there of. They were always quick to create a laugh with their unique senses of humor and catch phrases. I wish them the best of luck in the next chapters of their lives and I’m sure they will continue to make appearances at homecoming games.

Eddie B. Class of ’09.

[Reply]

6. Branden Beard on February 8th, 2017 12:50 pm

Wow! Two of my favorites right there.

[Reply]

7. Erin (Shope) Holloway on February 8th, 2017 3:44 pm

Congrats Sorice and Truscott!!! Some of the best and most fun memories I have from my years at Susky have you two in them. Best wishes in your retirement!!

Erin (Shope) Holloway, Class of ’99

[Reply]

8. Taylor Myers on February 8th, 2017 4:18 pm

I will miss the both of them very much. They have always been good teachers. They really put there heart into their work. I am sad to see them go. But i am glad to have known them all through my high school years.

[Reply]

9. Alyn Scritchfield on February 8th, 2017 7:26 pm

Congratulations on your retirement! You were both great teachers.
    Alyn Scritchfield, class of ’91

[Reply]

10. Matt smith on February 8th, 2017 8:34 pm

I was in the class of 97 and remember truscott playing stairway to heaven on the piano in study hall. Good luck with your retirement

[Reply]

11. Colleen Hartlove (Kelly) on February 8th, 2017 11:00 pm

Congratulations to you both! You two are the most genuine, kind hearted men. You both have coached not only myself but my 3 siblings and my husband. I have so many great memories from softball. As I get older I begin to appreciate those those little moments that you gave me. Enjoy retirement, you guys deserve it!

[Reply]

12. Tammy Sliger on February 8th, 2017 11:14 pm

Omg Mr.Truscott you havent changed a bit you still look as good as you did back in 86-87 you were a great teacher

[Reply]

13. Chris Copp on February 9th, 2017 4:17 pm

Wow!33 years! Congrats to the both of you. Enjoy your retirement. It was a pleasure to have you both as teachers and coaches.

[Reply]

14. Kathleen Proveaux-Edwards on February 9th, 2017 9:22 pm

These two are irreplaceable in their own unique way. Let’s hope the new guys /gals coming in have a strong sense of warrior leadership as well. The future depends on it! Lol, no pressure . Warriors Forever!

[Reply]

• Sorice and Truscott Retire after 33 Years

Showcase

Girls Basketball Wins District Opener

News

How Does Susky Give Back?

News

Fractured Prune Fundraising SYCSD Choral Boosters

Students Prepare for Upcoming Mini-THON

Artist of the Week: Zach Robinson

Showcase

Register for Mini-THON

Deborah Bosley Retires After 23 Years of Assisting

Commentary

How to Manage Your Stress

Exposed: The Importance of Choir

School Board Looks out for SYCSD