The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

Deborah Bosley Retires After 23 Years of Assisting

Deborah Bosley spends her last day at Susquehannock with her daughter, Christine Bosley. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

After spending 23 years working as an educational assistant for the special needs students, Deborah Bosley is now retiring.

Bosley grew up in the Southern York County District and graduated Susquehannock in 1972. She started off working for TE Connectivity Ltd., formerly known as AMP Incorporated, but had to stay home with her first child for several years. After taking care of four children, Bosley found it was time to settle into a new job.

After spending a few years home, Bosley found more work around the district as a substitute for Friendship Elementary.

“I did volunteer work at Friendship Elementary when my daughters were in school there, and the principal at the time convinced me to put my name on the substitute list. And it was a good fit. I knew that when I started substituting, that if I ever worked full time, that’s what I would want to do,” said Bosley.

Working full time as an instructional assistant, Bosley contributed a lot to the special needs kids. She has taught important life skills and continues to have an impact on her students today.

Bosley has made an impact on many of the life skills students over the many years she’s worked at Suquehannock. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

Bosley first had thoughts about retirement over a year ago and decided that this was her final year working at Susquehannock.

“A little over a year ago, I looked at finances and decided that I could do it,” said Bosley. “I felt like it was time. I have fibromyalgia that gets worse every year. It makes it difficult to work full time.”

Fibromyalgia is a syndrome that affects the muscles and soft tissues. Symptoms include chronic muscle pain, fatigue and sleep problems and is most common in middle age groups.

Despite leaving close friends and colleagues at Susquehannock, Bosley already has an idea of what she wants to do after retirement.

“I have nine grandchildren, so I’m sure they’ll keep me busy,” said Bosley. “I also want to travel a little bit.”

Special education teacher Christine Bosley found her position at Susquehannock courtesy of Deborah Bosley and continues teaching life skills each day. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

Bosley’s daughter, special education teacher Christine Bosley, has been working with her mother since she started substituting in 2002.

“I’m happy for her because I know she’s very excited and looking forward to it,” said Bosley. “My mother was working here first, and that’s how I ended up here. She was here and knew they were looking for a substitute position that was open. I applied for it, and that’s how I’m here.”

Special education teacher Tom Laure has worked with Bosley for over three years in his classes and with the Susky Station.

“Ms. Bosley is very supportive and enlightening with her personality… She was a personal care assistant for one of the students in our classroom for the last few years, and was always in the classroom helping the students,” said Laure. “I’m really happy for her… All the people she has impacted have spoken positively about her. She will be missed, but we’re excited for her in this next phase of life.”

Bosley has made an impact on the education of life skills students and will be enjoying her retirement by traveling around and spending time with her nine grandchildren after January 18.