The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

Filed under Features

5 Tips for Getting a Job

Getting a job in the new year is a great way to earn some cash to spend on various activities throughout the year.

Photo by: http://itren.co/job-application-tips.html

New Year’s Resolutions are not expense free. Getting a gym membership to help you get in shape and planning vacations to check off your bucket list will cost money, and the best way to pay for these things is by getting a job.

If you are interested in getting a job and earning some money for the new year, we’ve got you covered. Here are five tips to help you as you apply for jobs.

Always Answer Questions Truthfully

Employers will find out if you are lying about an answer. If it is extremely obvious, they will know as soon as they read it, or they will figure out once they have interviewed you or even hired you.

It is always a good idea to answer questions truthfully, and that same rule applies to applying for a job. However, try to make your answers as positive as possible and avoid writing any negative information. For example, if you were fired from a previous job, try to keep your answer positive, and explain what happened at the interview.

Highlight Your Positive Attributes and Accomplishments

Some applications may ask you what sort of qualities you have that make you a good fit for the job, but some may not ask such a direct question. Regardless of the questions on the application, make sure that you incorporate your positive attributes and accomplishments into your answers.

Remember, the goal of your application is to make yourself appear as qualified as possible for your job and to land an interview with the company you’re applying to.

By Flickr
Make sure you clean up your social media to ensure that your potential future employers don’t find something you wouldn’t want them to see.

Check Your Social Media

An employer may look at your social media to get an idea of who you are a person, even before the interview. If they don’t approve of what they see, you may not get the job.

Make sure that there is nothing on your social media that you wouldn’t want your future employer to see. A good rule of thumb is if you wouldn’t want your mother to see it, it shouldn’t be online.

Choose Your References Wisely

When you are deciding on who to ask to be your references, be sure that you are picking people who know you and can answer questions both about your character and your work ethic. You don’t want your potential employer to call your references and not hire you because your references had nothing of value to say about you.

Photo by: snagajob.com
Try looking for jobs on snagajob.com, where you can apply online to jobs within your area for free.

The best people to ask for references are past employers, teachers or family friends. However, always make sure you ask people if they are willing to be your references before submitting your application.

Review Your Application Before Submitting

This may sound like an obvious thing to do, but it is also extremely important. You don’t want your application to be full of spelling mistakes or have any incomplete sections, and the best way to ensure this is by going over your application before you press the submit button.

It could also be a good idea to get a friend or family member to look over your application to catch any mistakes you may have missed. First impressions are crucial, so be sure to make yours the best it can be when you apply.