Music Ensembles Get Spirited

By Kelcie Baker, Reporter

The music ensembles have been getting into the holiday spirit by performing at different venues and events. Jazz Band and Chanticleer have both been working hard to share their music with different audiences.

The Jazz Band has performed at two tree lightings this year to show off their jazzy Christmas carols.

Sophomore Matthew Sharkey liked the New Freedom Christmas Tree Lighting the best.

Sophomore Gillian Smyth (left) and Senior Rachel Sergent (right) pose for a picture before their performance. Photo by Rachel Sergent.

“The audience was really festive and responded well to our performance,” said Sharkey. “They also provided us with a pavilion and a heater since we were outside, so that was nice.”

Chanticleer has also been singing at different venues since the beginning of the school year to gain experience performing in front of varying audiences.

Junior Michaela Bryan enjoyed Chanticleer’s performance at the Pennsylvania Craft Show the best.

“There is a big crowd but, they aren’t completely paying attention to you since we’re mainly background noise,” said Bryan. “Not many people stop to watch you, but they listen while they walk around. It’s a very relaxing environment so it’s fun to perform there.”

Students involved in these ensembles gain a lot of experience with more difficult music, and it’s a great opportunity for musicians that want a challenge.

Junior Lucas Sherman joined Jazz Band, so he could perform a different type of mu

Photo by SHS Band

sic.

“I joined because I like to have the opportunity to play more jazz music instead of the regular concert band music,” said Sherman. “I also like improvising solos in the music.”

Junior Justin Feild plays the piano accompaniment for Chanticleer at all of their performances.

Feild enjoys playing at all of the events involved with Chanticleer.

“It’s a good opportunity to advertise our music department to the community,” said Feild. “It shows everyone the talent we have in our school and encourages them to come out to our concerts.”

You can see these ensembles perform live at the Winter Concert on Sunday December 18 at 2:00 pm in the High School auditorium.