Nintendo Flashbacks with the New Nintendo Classic Edition Console

By Alex Marshall, Reporter

Gamers looking for a blast to the past without the hassle of digging out old consoles or haggling flea market vendors should check out Nintendo’s new console to the table: the Nintendo Classic Edition, released on November 11.

This small model of the iconic Nintendo Entertainment System or NES, contains 30 original Nintendo games from Super Mario Bros. to The Legend of Zelda inside the console, so the old style of games being loaded onto cartridges will no longer be needed.

Captured by Matthew Paul Argall via Flicker
Captured by Matthew Paul Argall via Flickr

Junior Adam Rebich is skeptical however of the quality of the newer games.

“Nintendo’s tried this before on the wii console, and I don’t know if the older games translated well to newer flatscreen televisions. I hope Nintendo fixed it this time.” says Rebich.

Captured by Super Mario Fan via Flickr
Captured by Super Mario Fan via Flickr

The console’s starting price will be $60.00 and is expected to drop around the holidays, but even $60 dollars is a steal as most of the original Nintendo Games sold at that price for one.

Only one USB classic Nintendo controller will be included, but a second controller can be purchased for the small price of $10.

There are many improvements in the new console versus the old NES, such as a longer controller wire, so that the player’s gaming experience can be enjoyed on the couch, instead of the floor.

Captured by Money Royale via Flickr
Captured by Money Royale via Flickr

Also, since the games have been digitized, the common issue of a faulty 72 pin connector will no longer cause gamers stress.

Unfortunately, due to a lack of internet connection, the 30 games included will be all that the console will ever see, but with a line up of Castlevania, Contra, Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins, Kirby’s Adventure and many more, purchasers of the console will have many hours of gameplay ahead of them.

Some of Susquehannock’s student are excited to purchase their very own Nintendo Classic Edition console.

Senior Lucas Miller says “I’ve been looking for a present for my little brother for Christmas and the new Nintendo console is awesome because it’ll keep him busy for a long time and it’s the price of just 1 newer generation game!”

If you miss the first drop, do not fret because Nintendo has announced that they will restock before the holidays.