2016 Senior Heisman Award Winners Shine

By Autumn Polanowski, Reporter

Two students were announced as winners of the Wendy’s High School Heisman Award for athletics on October 17.

Seniors Kelly Doogan and Colton Mumley are ecstatic at the realization that they have won this award. This award is presented to high school seniors involved with athletics throughout their high school career and wish to pursue their athletics in college.

http://www.sycsd.org/news.cfm?story=177957&school=0
Photo Courtesy of the Southern York       Country School District Web Page

Wendy’s founder Dave Thomas created the Wendy’s Heisman Award in 1994. Thomas dropped out of High School at 15 years old, so he could work full time to become a successful entrepreneur.

While being afraid that more people would follow this path by not completing high school or college, at age 61, Thomas decided to get enrolled in Coconut Creek High School to achieve his GED. He then decided to partner with the Heisman Trophy Trust and created the Wendy’s High School Heisman Award, for other outstanding students.

There is a school level, state level, and national level for students to reach to achieve the award. With  20 state finalists from each state and only 2 winners. Along with the national level, there are 10 finalists and 2 winners.

The Heisman Award is going to be presented to Mumley and Doogan by Susquehannock’s athletic director Bradley Keeney.

Keeney is very excited for this opportunity that these two hardworking, athletic students are receiving during their high school career.

“I don’t know if I was surprised that they won because they are both amazing young men and women.  They certainly deserve an honor like this.  I am, however, very excited for the recognition,” said Keeney.

The 2016 Homecoming court. Doogan one to the right of middle. Photo by: Wade Bowers.
The 2016 Homecoming court. Doogan one to the right from middle. Photo by: Wade Bowers.

Doogan has been involved with Susquehannock’s athletics for all four years of high school. She has played four years of volleyball, three years of lacrosse and one year of basketball.

“I feel very privileged and accomplished. I know that I need scholarships for college, so I’ve been applying to as many as I can,” said Doogan.

Mumley is a part of Susquehannock’s soccer team. He excels in his classes while balancing his sport that he loves.

#12 Colton Mumley Photo Courtesy from Colton Mumley
#12 Colton Mumley
Photo Courtesy of Colton Mumley

With Mumley’s excitement increasing for the day these two seniors receive the award, he gives advice to students on how they too could achieve this award in the future.

“Be sure to branch out and become a member in a variety of organizations,” said Mumley. “Don’t limit yourself to what your school offers either. Get involved in the community.”

Adrenaline is pumping as the date these students receive the award has not yet been released, but the students are expecting the award to be presented to them in early 2017.

For more information on the Wendy’s Heisman Award, please visit: https://www.wendyshighschoolheisman.com/school-winner-materials/