Marching Band Blows Away Competition

By Kelcie Baker, Reporter

The marching band has been on a winning streak this year with multiple high scores and lots of positive comments from the judges. They have won three competitions so far and are already working towards another one on Saturday, October 29.

screenshot-2016-10-29-at-6-30-31-pm
Photo by SHS Band

After countless hours of hard work and rehearsing since the summer, the band students agree that it’s a nice reward to have been honored so many times.

Senior Gino Palma thinks they can improve even more.

“It’s been going well so far,” said Palma. “We started off to a really great start, and it’s only gotten better since then.”

The students have been working tirelessly for months to perfect their show that they perform at competitions and football games.

Senior Joe Fair discusses the time and effort they put into their shows.

screenshot-2016-10-29-at-6-31-17-pm
Photo by SHS Band

“It’s a lot of practice,” says Fair. “We practice about 10 hours outside of school a week, and that isn’t even counting when we go through the music during the day. We also get to go through our show every Friday at the football games.”

Not only do they enjoy getting the outstanding results, but it’s also nice for them to be able to do it with their friends.

Sophomore Rachel Scott likes getting to work and be rewarded with all of her other band mates.

“It’s a good feeling when we get to win,” said Scott. “We know that we all work equally as hard, so it’s really nice when we win because it’s like it all paid off.”

If you want to catch one of their performances, they have a preview show on November 11 st 6pm on the high school football field before their last competition.