American Red Cross comes to SHS

Every two seconds someone in the United States needs blood, according to the American Red Cross Association.

No matter your age, gender, or ethnicity nearly anyone can donate, meaning anyone can save a life.

This month the American Red Cross set up a blood donor station here in our own school.

School nurse Melinda Landis greatly appreciates everything that the American Red Cross is doing to help us have a successful donation.

“The Red Cross handles everything,” said Landis. “They take care of the processing, treatment, and sending [the blood]… to the hospitals.”

The importance of blood donation is crucial.

“Blood is something that is not able to be manufactured, and patients need it constantly,” said Landis. “Without the donors, we wouldn’t have that life sustaining treatment available to patients.”

Many students have already looked into donating and believe it to be a really easy way to help others.

Junior Bayley Gallegos decided to step up to the plate when he heard about the lack of donors.

“No one else was doing it,” said Gallegos. “I felt like it was my obligation to get blood drawn and help out the community.”

Senior Aaron Hill is also taking part in the donation and hopes to save a life.

“I know if I’d ever need blood, I’d hope that other people are giving blood so I can have it,” said Hill.

With the will to donate, anyone over the age of sixteen can pick up a permission slip in the health office.

On December 11th donors will complete a fast, easy process:  medical history and mini physical, donation, and then refreshments. Donation will take nearly less than ten minutes.

In less than ten minutes one person can save the lives of up to three people.

SHS expectations for this year are set at around eighty donors.