Brooke Morris Gains A Win as Athlete of the Week

By Katelin Tyler, News Editor

An athlete is most commonly known as just a person who is good at sports but there is more than what meets the eye; leadership, persistence, diligence and dedication are all major aspects that make up the title athlete of the week.

GametimePa opens a poll for community members asking them to vote for who they feel is the most deserving athlete, female or male.

Brooke steals the ball away from her opponent. Photo by: Brooke Morris
Brooke steals the ball away from her opponent. Photo by: Brooke Morristo vote for who they feel is the most deserving athlete, female or male. Varsity Field Hockey player Brooke Morris  was chosen for athlete of the week, Sept. 25 through Oct. 1.

Senior teammate Maddie Tomasic feels that her talent should be seen not only by our school but everyone else in the county.

img_3639-pic-1
Senior field hockey players,(from left) Carsen Bateman, Brooke Morris, Emily Schertle and Maddie Tomasic. Photo by: Maddie Tomasic

“Brooke is a good team player, and she contributes a lot to the team any way she can. Her positive attitude and excellent field hockey skills are something that deserves to be recognized,” said Tomasic.

In Brooke’s case, coach Tracey Kerr does nothing but support her and feels that she is very deserving of this.

“Brooke has a determination and drive that creates a work ethic that makes her an athlete who is dedicated to the sport and is continually working hard to improve herself.  Her speed and skills set her apart from most players in the league,” said Kerr. “Brooke is the player that will set the tone for practices and games, and her teammates follow her lead.  She is always willing to do what is asked and not only shows respect but has earned respect.”  

With this talent and skill comes a lot of practice, and over the years of hard work and dedication Morris has has fell in love with the sport.

“I enjoy field hockey because it is where I have built a bond with a group of girls that I will never be able to forget about. The field hockey field is a place where no matter what is going on it clears my mind and the sport in general is just something I enjoy,” said Morris.

After being nominated and finding out that she won, Morris was ecstatic with the support she had received.

Brooke spends one last preseason with her senior teammates. Photo by: Maddie Tomasic
Brooke spends one last preseason with her senior teammates. Morris is pictured second from the left.   Photo by: Maddie Tomasic

“I was super excited to know I had won athlete of the week because it just shows how great my support system is and how much the hard work on and off the field had paid off,” said Morris.

With the end of her high school field hockey career around the corner, Morris does not plan on calling it quits anytime soon.

“I plan on playing field hockey in college, and I know it is not going to pay the bills, but I am going to keep doing it until I no longer can,” said Morris.