Choir and Orchestra Prepare for Upcoming Concerts

By Madison Gillespie, Sports Editor

Orchestra students prepare for concert
Angelina Gilbert
Orchestra students prepare for the concert.

Choir and orchestra students are preparing for  fall performances coming up in October.

Juniors Angelina Gilbert and Elinor Pugliese both play the cello and are looking forward to the upcoming concert.

“It’s famous music from movies,” said Pugliese.

The October Halloween concert will take place on October 27, and students will all become their favorite character or animal as they showcase their Halloween costumes.

Gilbert mentioned  the pieces that will be played at the orchestra concert.  

“Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Hercules,” said Gilbert.

The orchestra will also be taking a trip later in the year to Tennessee and have hopes that several students will come out to support their cause.

Orchestra students prepare for the October concert
Angelina Gilbert
Orchestra students prepare for the October concert.

The choir is also preparing for their own concert which will be on October 5, and it will be held at Shrewsbury Elementary school instead of at Susquehannock.

Junior Samantha Bechtel is a soprano in the school choir.

“I think the best part is that it exposes the audience and the performers to something that choirs don’t typically do. Choirs are typically more structured and do more classical tunes, and Broadway is the opposite of classical when you think about it,” said Bechtel.  

The concert this year is based around several different pieces of different Broadway music, along with some fun hand motions as well.

An example of these pieces is “Razzle Dazzle” from the musical Chicago which will be performed by the Chanticleer group.

“…it’s a little different than the original Broadway recording, obviously because it’s for four-part harmony versus just one person,” said Bechtel.  

Chanticleer practices for last year's concert
Nick Mullins
Chanticleer practices for last year’s concert.

Both groups are looking forward to students coming to their performances and giving them the support that will help them get through the concert.