STEM Summit to be held at Susquehannock High School

September 22, 2016

SHS Students collaborate at STEM Summit.

Junior Achievement of South Central Pennsylvania is hosting a STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) Summit at Susquehannock High School on November 4, 2016. The entire ninth grade class, a total of approximately 245 students, will be participating in a day-long career exploration conference.

The goal of STEM is to inspire students to pursue an academic STEM focus in the remainder of their high school courses and to help prepare them for a possible STEM job in the future. According to the U.S. Bureau of Statistics, in the next five years, STEM jobs are projected to grow twice as quickly as jobs in other fields. Further, the majority of high paying jobs in the future will have some STEM components. The key is getting students excited an interested in the course work to prepare them for these jobs.

The STEM Summit brings a non-traditional approach to career exploration. Students will have hands-on opportunities to conduct science experiments and competitions and to listen to career panelists speak about their career opportunities. Tom Russell, President of Junior Achievement of South Central Pennsylvania, said, “We have a really diverse group of careers represented. Many of the major employers in our area will be present.”