Susquehannock High School Student Construction Project Underway

September 22, 2016

Susquehannock High School construction students pour concrete for the new ticket booth.

Susquehannock High School students have begun construction on a new ticket booth at the Robert E. Lau Memorial Stadium. The entire project, from concept to reality, is a collaboration of technology education and construction students, staff, and community.

Susquehannock High School Technology Education teacher James Rayburn said the idea to construct the ticket booth began as a conversation about engaging students with a real-life project-based learning experience. Last school year, student Alex Wright, a 2016 Susquehannock High School graduate, created an advanced conceptual rendering of the design after collaborating with students and staff. When the design was approved, the students developed a set of working drawings to proceed with the project. “We couldn’t have done it without James Holley, a Southern York County School Board Member. He was very involved in the project and a really big help, especially with the ‘real drawings,’” said Rayburn. “It was really neat to see the student input as students worked together with teachers and community members to make it happen”, Rayburn said.

Ground breaking on site began the week of September 12, 2016. Construction students are getting hands-on experience with cement pouring, wall construction, roofing, rafter mounting, window and door installation, and paving. Building materials were donated by members of the community.