The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

Susky’s Student Section Seeks Improvement

Dan McNair, Video

Beginning this year, passionate students and new Athletic Director Brad Keaney are working hard to raise not only the number of students in Susquehannock’s student section, but also the excitement of the crowd during the game.

Susky united and decided to improve its’ student section when it was ranked 20 out of 24 in a Gametime PA poll about York county’s best student sections last year.

Juniors Hunter Sentz and Jackson Murphy, representing the student section, have turned to twitter in order to share announcements, scores, news articles, and polls with the community.

Some school district-affiliated twitter accounts do not receive much attention from the community, but the SHS Student Section’s twitter account, proudly named “The Tribe,”has gathered more than 250 followers since it was created in early September.

“The Tribe” gives students a voice to decide what theme each home football game will be.

The football team’s first home game against the York Catholic Fighting Irish on September 9 saw students wear all-white outfits in a “white-out,” the first of several upcoming theme-nights for home football games.

Susquehannock's student section during the "white-out". Photo courtesy of Jackson Murphy.

Susquehannock’s student section during the “white-out.” Photo courtesy of Jackson Murphy.

The Fighting Irish came out on top with a final score 34-17, but Susky’s student section was energetic, supportive and positive throughout all four quarters.

Considering that the football team showed major improvement last season, the 2016 fall sports season forecasts a landmark year for student section turnout and pride.

Although Friday night football games on the home field are the largest events, a growing number of students showed up to support field hockey, girls soccer, boys soccer, and other sports during the first two weeks of the school year.

The football team during their season opener at home against York Catholic. Photo Courtesy of Jackson Murphy.

The football team during their first home game against York Catholic. Photo Courtesy of Jackson Murphy.

Senior Rachel Marshner attended last Friday’s football game against York Catholic

“Well, there was really no student section last year,” said Marshner.

“It was fun to be able to cheer on all of my friends on the field with some great friends off the field. Even though we lost, it was also a lot of fun to just cheer and dance to the music from the band”.

Senior Sam Steines is impressed with last Friday’s turnout.

“It was pretty wicked,” said Steines

“I went insane. All of the students were cheering and going crazy and the band was really good; the band was my favorite part. I really enjoyed when they played “All I Do is Win” and we all sang it. I couldn’t care less about the outcome of the game, its just cool to see how much support the football program has”.

Be sure to follow the student section’s twitter account and come out to support Susky’s hard working student-athletes.