Tips for Getting a Summer Job

By Emily Rivers, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

The end of the school year is upon us, and while for some that may mean endless days of watching Netflix, others may want to save up some money for college and get a summer job. If you are in that boat, then fear not because here are some tips for getting a summer job:

Finding Employers Who Are Hiring

Snagajob.com allows you to search for jobs in your area.
By: Emily Rivers

If you are not sure where to apply because you don’t know who is hiring, try using http://www.snagajob.com/. This website allows you to search for hiring companies within your area and also sends you emails if any new jobs open up.

Chipotle, Chick-fil-A, and Taco Bell all are currently hiring, so be sure to check them out as potential employers.

Perfect Your Application and Interview Skills

Be sure to do your research on the company you are applying for. You don’t want to go into the interview or start your application without a clear idea of what you will be doing if you get hired.

Make sure that your application includes skills that are relevant to the job you are applying for. For example, if you are trying to obtain a job as a cashier, saying you are a people-person or that you’re friendly on your application will impress the employer, and they might call you back for an interview.

Here are 4 tricky interview questions, and how to go about answering them.
By: http://getyourtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Infographic-job-interview-questions-and-answers.jpg

Once you do have an interview, it is important that you review common interview questions and practice answers to them.You don’t need to memorize any answers, but definitely develop talking points.

Another important thing to consider before your interview is how you are dressed. The way you look is going to be the first impression your potential future employer has of you, so make sure you dress to impress.

It’s better to be over-dressed than under-dressed, but do shy away from too many accessories and jewelry as they can be very distracting.

Ask the Employer Questions

Here is a pie graph showing why job interview candidates are rejected.
By Tomwsulcer (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
  Your employer will typically ask if you have any questions after your interview is over, and what they are really looking for when they ask this is if you are actually interested in the job. It’s best to come with a few questions in mind, just in case some of them get answered during the interview itself.

Some good questions to ask are “Can you describe a typical day?” or “What kind of person are you looking to fill this position?”

Clean Up Your Online Life

We all have those terrible pictures our friends have posted of us on social media, and while it may be funny to you and your friends, your future employers may not be laughing as they scroll through your accounts. This may not be as big of a deal for getting a job while you are in high school, but once you go out into the ‘real world,’ it will become a much bigger problem.

A good rule of thumb is if you wouldn’t want your mom to see, don’t keep it up on your social media accounts.

Although you may not want to work all throughout the summer, it’s important to think about your future. You will be grateful that you have extra money to spend in college if you start working now.