Alumni Spotlight – Mike Potteiger ‘06

May 18, 2016

Alumni Spotlight – Mike Potteiger ‘06

The adrenaline of competition and a need to do his best in all things have been strong forces in Mike Potteiger’s life. It was that way at Susquehannock where he was a linebacker and tight end on the football team. It was that way at Wake Forest where he defied the odds and earned a spot on one of the ACC’s strongest programs as a walk-on. And it was that way when he graduated from college a year early to help make a technology start-up a success.

But strong family connection has been the guiding force in his life story.

Mike was an excellent all-around student at Susquehannock, earning National Honor Society designation in his junior year. He was also sports editor for the school newspaper and, in addition to playing football, was point guard on the school’s basketball team.

As an indicator of his well-rounded interests, he understandably lists coaches Tom Warranavage (football), Wayne McCullough, and Tom Laure (basketball) as role models. But he adds the entire English Department to the list as having a profound influence on his college and career preparation.

“Wake Forest was a liberal arts school with many prerequisites that involved a lot of writing,” he says. “I felt that I was much better prepared than my classmates in that area.”

As another indicator of his range-of-interest, Mike had no idea what he wanted to study after high school. He recalls, “I was totally up in the air.” His early interest was anatomy and physiology and a pre-med track, but remained unsure.

Of one thing he was certain, however; he missed football.

As a 185-pound walk-on, he knew his chances were slim, but he tried out. His determination and work-ethic earned him a spot with the Demon Deacons and, eventually, the thrill of going to two bowl games.

He added 40 pounds of muscle to his non-Division I-A frame over his NCAA career but remained the smallest of 14 linebackers on roster.

Of the beating he took he says, “It was hard, but I wouldn’t have missed it.”

At this time, Mike’s brother Scott (Class of 2001) was working for a technology start-up in York – Dataforma, which targeted the roofing service industry. The business was taking off and needed someone to perform on-site training and trouble-shooting. For Mike – young and unattached – life on the road seemed like an adventure. Sister Nacole (Class of 2003) was also working for the firm, which added to its appeal.

Mike accepted the company’s offer, but insisted on completing his degree first. He accelerated his course load and graduated a year early in 2009 – Magna Cum Laude – with a Bachelor of Science degree in Health and Exercise Science and a minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise.

The venture was successful, but after three and a half years of living out of a suitcase, the routine became old. His epiphany came when he learned that his grandmother, with whom he was very close, contracted terminal cancer.

It was a conflicting time for Mike. He was torn between the demands of his career, his instinct to succeed, and a desire to spend family time with his grandmother. He made time for his grandmother, but wished it could have been more.

“When she passed,” he said “we all felt blessed for the opportunity to spend the final year by her side and promised not to make the same mistake again.”

Mike made it a point to reach out to his surviving grandmother and teach her how to stay in touch with him electronically. The 83 year-old woman was apprehensive, but he persisted and was eventually successful. Her apprehension faded and, he is sure “the iPad changed her life.”

From this experience came an inspiration for Mike: older adults need an easier way to step into the fast-paced world of technology as a means to stay connected to what matters most.

Mike and Nacole left Dataforma and started their own company – Generation Connect, specializing in training and specialized software for the elderly and their mobile devices. One of the ventures’ most exciting projects helps people with Alzheimer’s and other dementias stay connected to their identities, engage with their loved ones, and feel a sense of achievement throughout their decline.

Although the program is in the early stages of broad acceptance, its success in a dozen or so installations has the Potteigers excited for the future.

Considering Mike’s track record of success in areas that he pursues, that optimism seems well founded.

Thank to Mike Potteiger, Class of 2006, for making us Warrior Proud.

View Comments (2)

• W

Wayne McCulloughMay 19, 2016 at 11:08 am

Well done Mike! I am extremely proud of you.

Reply
    • M

Michael PotteigerJun 2, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Thank you for everything Coach Wayne!

Reply
2