SYCSD Foundation awarded $10,000 Matching Grant from Scholarship America

May 17, 2016

The Southern York County School District Foundation’s Dollars for Scholars (SYCSDF/DFS) has been awarded a $10,000 matching grant from Scholarship America, the parent organization of Dollars for Scholars. SYCSD is the only school district in Pennsylvania and one of 13 nationwide to be awarded the matching grant.

The matching grant will provide deserving students the opportunity to receive financially impactful, renewable scholarships.

“Renewable, financially impactful scholarships that are directed to students with the greatest financial need will be an important tool to improving educational outcomes in our Dollars for Scholars communities,” said Scholarship America’s President and CEO, Lauren Segal. “Our goal with the Dollars for Scholars Affiliate Matching program is to partner with our affiliates and their local supporters to build and sustain renewable scholarship opportunities so that more students across the country can complete their degree or program with a reduced level of debt.”

In addition to receiving the $10,000 matching grant, the Foundation will also receive personalized support and tools from Scholarship America.

For the Class of 2016, approximately 170 scholarships will be awarded to Susquehannock High School students from the SYCSCF/DFS program. In 2015, 172 scholarships were awarded to 115 students at the high school. The SYCSD Foundation distributed $118,106 in scholarships and awards through the Dollars for Scholars program. The scholarship program now features 38 permanently endowed scholarships, which continue annually in perpetuity.

The SYCSD Foundation was organized in 1997 as a charitable organization. While many school district foundations work only to obtain scholarship funds for the benefit of graduating seniors, the SYCSD Foundation provides giving opportunities for scholarships, projects, equipment, supplies, and other purposes for the benefit of students in the School District.

For more information about contributions to the SYCSD Foundation’s Dollars for Scholars Fund, please contact Dr. Wayne McCullough, Executive Director, Southern York County School District Foundation, at 235-4811 ext. 7274 or email him at [email protected].