Susquehannock’s Beloved Sandy May Retires

May kindly suggests a novel for senior Vaish Kandala before helping her check it out. Photo by the author.

She’s a familiar smiling face that seems like a part of the Susquehannock High School library. Students adore her, and staff members think of her as a family member. It may seem impossible to imagine a school environment without library clerk Sandy May, yet she is retiring after this school year.

As a child, May and her family moved around quite a bit because of her father’s job transfers, but in every new place they moved to, she and her family would find the local library. Her family’s emphasis on books and learning started May’s love for the education system, so after graduating from Bel-Air High School, May pursued early childhood education at Towson University. Laughing, May admitted that she used the degree to work in a bank upon graduation.

Always a busy bee in the library, May reorganizes the "new books" shelf. Photo by the author.
Always a busy bee in the library, May reorganizes the “new books” shelf. Photo by the author.

After marrying her husband Jay in 1980, May had her daughter Erica and stayed home from work for a few years. Later, she began working at the Paul Smith Library in New Freedom before finding an opening at Susquehannock, where she has now spent 20 years.

“When I look back… it’s been probably 45 years, we have only had two libraries and two library clerks here in that amount of time, and I just think that says a lot about our library, but I think it says even more about the staff and the students,” said May.

May’s daughter Erica, after graduating from Susquehannock, now works as an elementary school librarian in Hartford County, so a love of books runs in the family.

Speaking of daughters, May looks at librarian Kayse Corrieri as a “second daughter,” having worked together for eight years in the library. Corrieri almost can’t imagine Susquehannock without her partner in crime.

“Well, she’s the nice one… you know what, Mrs. May knows the whole staff and she works with the whole staff, and it’ll be really different [without her],” said Corrieri. “It’s just those little things that really add up to mean so much and make someone so important. There’ll be a real hole because she just cares so much about everyone else other than herself.”

Looking back, Corrieri has many favorite memories of her coworker from day-to-day interactions to specific moments. For instance, Corrieri recalls a time last school year in which May cut her ankle on a filing cabinet, exclaiming “oh my!” before Corrieri rushed to stop what turned out to be bleeding. Telling the story and laughing, Corrieri pointed to the stain that remains on the library carpet.

May helps librarian Kayse Corrieri get the school library ready for summer. Photo by the author.

Because of countless funny or sweet memories possessed by students and staff alike, May is now one of the most beloved faculty members at Susquehannock, and according to senior Rachel Pugaczewski, it’s not hard to understand why.

“She makes [Susquehannock] special because we’re so wrapped up in school… and in high school, you forget about [celebrations], but Mrs. May works really hard to decorate the library and help us take a step back and remember,” said Pugaczewski.

Even during May’s retirement interview, students and staff popped in to add what a kind coworker and teacher she has been throughout the years. For example, junior Sam Noel whispered, “she’s awesome” as he passed through the library.

May recalls wonderful lunches with her “dear friends” here at Susquehannock in consumer sciences teacher Martha Sandusky’s dining room and moments talking with students as her personal favorite memories here.

Despite how much she will be missed, retirement is an exciting next step for May. She looks forward to traveling, doing some things around the house, spending time with her grandson Carter and joining a book club comprised of some of Susquehannock’s favorite recent retirees.

“I wish that Sandy May gets to spend lots and lots of hours reading on a beach, relaxing and listening to the surf and watching her grandson play,” said Corrieri. “Probably next February when we’re getting flurries… she’ll send me an email with her in the Dominican sitting in some beautiful spa, and I’ll say, ‘yeah, that’s a nice Tuesday.’”

Even though next school year will be bittersweet without May remembering birthdays or checking up on sick staff and students, we wish May all the best on her next adventure.