Rohan Murphy Makes an Impact on Southern York County

Students pose beside Rohan during one of the high school lunch periods. Photo by Alexis.

By Ally Kerr, Reporter

Penn State wrestling alum Rohan Murphy rolled into Southern York County just like he has in many other middle and high schools around the country.

Thanks to Murphy, students from the middle and high school were enlightened about adversity on Friday, April 29 in the high school auditorium.

Rohan Murphy told his story to the students of Southern Middle and Susquehannock High School on Friday, April 29. Photo by @RohanMurphy via Twitter.

Murphy was born with his legs backward, and he lived that way until he was 4 years old when his parents made the decision to amputate them. Until his secondary school years, Murphy would use prosthetic legs to help him walk around. He claims that no one treated him differently his entire school career, which is something special.

Growing up, Murphy was always into sports. He loved the whole aspect of a team and his dream was to be able to be on a sports team one day.

Murphy understood that he couldn’t participate in sports, so he managed the soccer, wrestling and tennis teams during middle school.

However, one day in the eighth grade, Murphy’s life changed forever by a man named Ron Croteau. Croteau was his physical education teacher, and he was also the wrestling coach; he told Murphy that he could wrestle. Murphy didn’t believe him, but Croteau told him how he would do it. So, Murphy tried out his freshman year of high school and made the team.

Murphy didn’t do too hot his first year, but he improved his last three years of high school, being one of the best wrestlers in his hometown of East Islip, New York. He even went to a 28-day wrestling camp where he could not do most of the training, but he found a way to do something different so that he was still getting a good workout in.

Rohan Murphy isn’t one to give in or make excuses because he doesn’t have legs. In his own words he said, “once I start something, I’m going to finish it,” which Murphy continues to stick to today.

Murphy went on to college at Penn State and couldn’t wrestle his first two years because he wasn’t heavy enough. Once he put on the weight, Murphy joined the Penn State wrestling team for coach Troy Sunderland, where he earned three varsity letters.

Ever since Murphy graduated from Penn State, he has traveled across the country telling his story and motivating students to continue to pursue their dreams and to have no excuses.

Murphy has been featured on the ABC News, Sports Illustrated, 20/20, and was the highlight in Nike’s “No Excuses” campaign.

Sophomores selfie with Rohan during one of the lunches. Photo By Paige Kish.

Murphy really stressed to the students of Susquehannock to “be inclusive, not exclusive.” He believes that everyone belongs somewhere and that everyone has a purpose.

He really made the students step into reality and realize that everyone isn’t perfect, but you don’t have to be in order to be great.

After Murphy’s presentation, students had the chance to talk to him during lunches, in the halls, and in classrooms. From the student’s standpoint, they were affected thru his words and his story.

Murphy’s goal is to visit at least one high school in every state in the United States. From hearing his story and how he relates to students, his goal is possible, and he will continue to impact many other lives in the country.