Susky Rises To the Top

By Brooke Weber, Reporter

The U.S. News site, which can be found here, features an overview of each ranked school that was reviewed.
Photo Courtesy: Brooke Weber

As we walk the halls each day, repeating what might initially seem like the monotonous steps of life at Susky, it can be difficult to appreciate just how lucky we all are – until an amazing honor brings this fact to the forefront of our collective consciousness.

On April 19, U.S. News & World Report released its latest list of the top high schools in America – out of 19,908 reviewable schools nationwide, 6,218 were awarded either a bronze, silver, or gold medal determined by the school’s graduation rate, performance on state standardized tests, and a college readiness index.

Susquehannock and the Southern York County School District as a whole was awarded a Silver Medal and placed 57th out of 676 high schools in the state of Pennsylvania, an achievement that superintendent Sandy Lemmon is ecstatic to celebrate.

“As always, we are very proud whenever our schools are recognized with any honor,” Lemmon said. “We have outstanding students, parents, teachers, staff, administrators, community members, and School Board Directors who work hard every day. I always believe it is important to recognize the efforts of hardworking individuals. This honor is a reflection of genuine hard work and passion.”

The high school ranked above many others in the area, which high school principal Kevin Molin attributes to Susky’s unique atmosphere.

“Susquehannock High School and SYCSD is a gem. This ranking just confirms what many of us already knew,” said Molin. “Having been at other schools, I can flat out say SHS and SYCSD are special places. We have fantastic students who want to learn and have a drive to be successful in their own right. This starts in the home, is lead by great district leaders (SYCSD Admin Office and School Board) and is supported by an outstanding community. We have teachers committed to building relationships and sharing their passions for their subject areas that is second to none in grades K through 12.”

The U.S. News ranking marks the most recent of many incredible honors given to the school over the years.
Photo Courtesy: Brooke Weber

This theory of success is shared by junior and newly elected Student Council President Kelsey McCullough, who asserts that the combined efforts of students and staff have allowed the district to climb so high.

“Our first goal as a school is to keep our scores high and make sure we maintain good enough grades in order to have a successful future, whether it be for colleges or just the AP tests or Keystones,” McCullough said. “I definitely think that we have a different way of looking at things. With the new Chromebooks and new technology we use, our teachers use different things in order to have our students remember…what we’re learning better, so instead of just lectures and stuff, we are applying it to everyday things.”

Providing this learning-conducive space, according to Lemmon, is the main mission of the district itself.

“In Southern, our commitment is to provide the best instructional program for all of our students,” said Lemmon. “In addition, our passion is to create an environment where all students feel successful, valued, appreciated, supported, and proud of their school. When this special environment is created, like the one we have in Southern, great things continue to happen in our schools.”

As for what steps could be taken to ensure that the district’s ranking is even higher next year, Molin ensures that the school’s success doesn’t go by the numbers.

“We can always improve, but I truly believe it’s not about the ranking, but more about continuing to be a school and district that is driven to meeting the needs of every student on a daily basis,” Molin said.

Despite this, Mc Cullough stresses that the district’s performance could be bolstered in several important facets, which she hopes to build upon in the next year.

“It definitely is nice looking at it and seeing how our school is getting that recognition for always trying to work hard, because academics always do come first,” said McCullough, “but as President I’m also trying to make the school…a fun place to be with our school spirit and keep getting that higher and many more people participating, which is definitely a challenge of our school, but I think it’s great that our academics are high.”

Junior Kelsey McCullough hopes to revitalize the student body's sense of spirit as Student Council President.
Photo Courtesy: Brooke Weber
Junior Kelsey McCullough hopes to revitalize the student body’s sense of spirit in order to improve Susky’s ranking when she becomes Student Council President.

Though there will come a time to talk about the future of the district, now is the time for rejoicing in the prestige that our schools have won – in the words of Superintendent Lemmon:

“Students are successful in high school when they have received the highest quality of instruction beginning in kindergarten.  They feel loved, safe, have pride in their school, and want to be in school each day. It takes the entire Southern staff and community to create this environment. We could not be more proud of this honor!”