Color Run Brightens the Community

Runners would get paint thrown on them as they ran through the colored balloons. Photo courtesy from Suskystuco via Twitter.

By Ally Kerr, Reporter

Susquehannock kicked cancer by showing its colors in the high school’s first ever Color Run on Saturday, April 23 on the school’s campus.

This past week was Kick Cancer Week at the high school where students and staff helped raise money for cancer research. Finishing off the week, student council hosted a Color Run where over 300 runners from the community got splattered in color paint and raised a large amount of money that is still being counted for the American Cancer Society.

Runners gather around the track before starting the Color Run. Photo by Kelsey McCullough.

Senior student council member Emily Landis was a part of the planning for the color run and believes that it was worth it.

“The event went better than we imagined. The day started off dreary and kind of cold, so we were a little nervous at first that it wasn’t going to clear up, but it ended up being perfect running weather, ” Landis said.

The course started at the track and members of student council were spread out around the course throwing various colors at the participants.

Junior student council member Kelsey McCullough also helped staff the event and was happy that she did.

“The Color Run was extremely fun… it was great having an event outside of school that my friends and I could participate in,” McCullough said.

Vendors like Power Train and Fractured Prune supported the event, giving out membership discounts and free doughnut cards to the runners.

Student council advisor Kellin McCullough is pleased with how the students hosted the event.

Members of student council get together after they get splattered with paint. Photo courtesy from Emily Landis.

“I am blown away by the leadership of our entire student council, but specifically the seniors that were involved with planning the Color Run, including: Emily Landis,Rachel Banchiere, Jake Smith and Maggie Kaliszak,” McCullough said.

Kellin McCullough predicts that Susquehannock raised around $8,000 during the entire week, and believes that the Color Run was a big part of that.

“It was a flawless event, and I couldn’t have asked for a better turnout for our first color run… the support from the community was amazing… next year will be bigger and better,” McCullough said.

Student council plans on continuing to host the color run, so Susquehannock can raise more money to donate to the American Cancer Society.