Seniors Run the Stock Market

By Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

It’s usually a wonder how major companies like Amazon or Walmart crawled to the top of the corporation list throughout the years.

Around this time of the school year, seniors in the Government and Economics class get to feel what it’s like to rise to the top of the list in their own class-wide government stock game.

In the stock game, students get to trade and compete with each other while being given a hands-on experience to the real-world stock market.

Seniors learn how the stock market works by practicing how to trade through the stock game. Screenshot by: Ariel Barbera

Senior Maddie McGowan enjoys playing the stock game with her fellow classmates and believes it gives students a new experience into the world of stock marketing.

“The stock game is a great way for students to get a hands-on experience with knowing how the market works,” said McGowan. “You get to develop your own understanding through picking your own stock and setting your own interests.”

In the stock game, students are able to invest fake money into different businesses. Throughout the next few weeks of playing, students will strive to gain the most profit from these investments.

“You’re trying to make the most profit with the money you’re given. You’re given $25,000 at the beginning, and you had to invest all of it into stock. You’re trying to make the most profit in the end,” said McGowan. “I’m currently invested in Google and Apple.”

Learning centers feature the stock game to teach students how the stock market works. Screenshot by: Ariel Barbera

Major skills students will learn from the stock game include investing and profiting from businesses. These skills will be useful to students who aim for a career involved in running the stock market.

Senior Regan Lawlor believes the stock market game is very useful and helps give students an idea about how the stock market runs.

“The stock game gives you a realistic idea of what it’s like investing money in the stock market,” said Lawlor.

Students continue to learn more about the stock market today through their Government and Economics class. To learn more about the stock market game and how it works, visit howthemarketworks.com.