Students Share Their Thoughts on Get Real Day

Photo by Jill Platts

Peer leaders pose together after all their hard work paid off.

By Logan Garvey, Editor-in-Chief

After going through the process of Get Real Day, many students were impacted by the lesson that it taught- you can’t make a judgment about someone until you truly understand their past and what makes them tick.

Students work together to solve a puzzle in their small groups.
Photo by Jill Platts

A few students who took part in the day expressed how they think this program has impacted the student body.

“I think it impacted the school body, especially my grade, that we need to accept people more for who they are and understand that people have problems that they are dealing with that you could never imagine and how asking how someone is or giving them a compliment can make their day a whole lot better and make them forget about their personal problems and see there are people there for you if you ever need someone,” said sophomore Miranda Shaffer.256px-Peace-sign.svg

“I think that it makes everybody much kinder to each other, and they understand each other’s problems better,” said sophomore Michaela Bryan.

256px-Peace-sign.svg

“I feel it brought some of the close mind people to talk to some of the others who need them at different times,” said sophomore Holly Bull.256px-Peace-sign.svg

“It helps bring awareness to how people feel about bullying,” said sophomore Francesca Wright.256px-Peace-sign.svg

“I think overall we are more aware, and it’s more in our minds, sort of the idea of how our words and actions affect other people. I think just having the reminders really helps to put the action in place or prevent an action from negative things happening,” said sophomore Kaleb Fair.256px-Peace-sign.svg

“I think now people have more consideration for each other now that it happened, and we’re more aware of microaggressions,” said sophomore Synye Carter.

256px-Peace-sign.svg

“I think people are more aware of other people’s situations, and they do not judge as much anymore,” said sophomore Montana Schofield.

256px-Peace-sign.svg

“More people are nice and considerate of other people’s feelings,” said sophomore Allana Jones.256px-Peace-sign.svg

“The students here have opened up their minds and realized how bad stereotypes really are. There’s less judging, and everyone as a whole has come together and realized that we all have to work together,” said sophomore Stella Trovato.

Family groups took part in many different forms of team bonding before "getting real".
Photo by Jill Platts
Family groups took part in many different forms of team bonding before getting real.