Art Students Take a Different Direction

By Dan McNair, Video Editor

Unfinished project to be displayed next month.
Pictured above is an unfinished project to be displayed next month.

When a person thinks about art, the idea of using discarded materials might seem out of the ordinary, but a team of students want to challenge typical conventions by creating a display entirely out of recycled materials.

The competition, hosted by the Creative York art gallery, encourages local students to find new and unexpected ways to share their creativity.

Group members representing Susquehannock include Stevie King, Rachel Miller, and Dan Pergrin.

Other schools from around York County are working hard to submit projects that will be on display at the gallery next month.

Art student Dan Pergrin hopes that the project will encapsulate beauty in a unique way.

“The point is to show that art is everywhere and that you can use almost anything to make art. In our project, we’re making an old clock, almost like an old grandfather clock,” said Pergrin.“So far it’s been pretty cool. We always have these ideas, and then we end up not being able to do that because it’s not recycled, so it’s always finding a new solution to something that is recycled instead.”

The team of art students used both doors from an old cupboard and crushed CDs to build the thrifty clock lookalike.

Senior Rachel Miller is also part of Susky’s team.

“It really sends an important message: recycling now is more important than ever,” said Miller.“We’re beginning to finally realize and understand that we’re not on this earth forever, and we need to preserve what we do have.”

The fact that competitions like the recycled art project are gaining attention goes to show that many people are beginning to take an environmentally-friendly approach to different parts of their lives.