Alumni Spotlight – Dr. Wayne McCullough ‘76

March 21, 2016

From the desk of Mark Rill, Editor, Susquehannock Alumni Pride Newsletter

Dear Readers,

I thought it was appropriate and timely to include an article spotlighting Dr. Wayne McCullough (written by Dale Keagy, author of the Alumni Spotlight articles), since Dr. McCullough is retiring from Southern York County School District at the end of this school year.

I would like to personally thank Dr. McCullough for his dedication to the Susquehannock Alumni Association.

Sincerely,

For Wayne McCullough, Southern York County is the constant that connects all the dots in his life.

He grew up in a simpler time, a time when self-designed activities – most often pick-up baseball and basketball games in hometown Glen Rock – filled the day. Wayne and his brothers also kept busy helping in Grandfather Smith’s grocery store and construction business.

Although you wouldn’t guess it from his current interests, Wayne would be the first to admit that SHS academic life was not his first passion. Although a credible student and a member of the National Honor Society, sports drew most of his attention. He was a three-letter athlete (football, basketball, and baseball) and also a percussionist in the band and orchestra.

But his primary interest was baseball and basketball, and when he selected a college in 1976, Elizabethtown’s interest in him as an athlete was a primary consideration. Wayne was a Blue Jay for four years and was named all MAC conference as a third baseball in 1979 and 1980. He was team captain his senior year.

After graduating in 1980, Wayne spent time as an E-Town college administrative employee (and assistant baseball coach), but moved to Illinois in 1982 for an administrative position at Monmouth College, the only period in his life he didn’t live in Glen Rock. While there, he was involved in campus operations, student life, and recruiting, but also managed to participate in local sports and was able to continue his coaching career.

Now with his wife Becki and two small children (Kristi ’01 and Quinn ’02), the draw of family and the memory of a small-town life-style prompted a career change. He returned to Glen Rock to go into the construction business with his brother Kim, ‘75. Here he drew on skills learned during summers working for popular local contractor, Irvin Rappoldt, and natural business acumen.

After several years in contracting, he began a school business career at Southern York County School District, beginning as Transportation Director and, after several promotions, reached his current position as Chief Financial & Operations Officer and Board Secretary. Wayne also serves as Executive Director of the Southern York County School District Foundation and is active on the Susquehannock High School Alumni Council.

Wayne has a passion for coaching. In each of the last 36 years, Wayne has coached at least one sport and in most years, two or three. His credits include Southern York County youth leagues, Glen Rock American Legion, Susquehannock High School, Monmouth College, Elizabethtown College, and AAU. During his years as Susquehannock’s head basketball coach, the team earned 10 sportsmanship awards and became a perennial playoff team.  He is credited with the longest tenure and more wins than any other Susquehannock High School boys’ basketball coach.

He was also “color man” for local basketball and football broadcasts on WOYK and has hosted that station’s Saturday morning staple Central PA Game Day for the past 11 years. He also announces at home games for Warrior girls’ basketball, where his youngest daughter, Kelsey ’17 plays.

While working in the District’s Business Office, Wayne earned his Masters’ degree and Doctorate in Business Administration and is a member of the teaching faculty of Wilkes University and the Pennsylvania Association of School Business Officials (PASBO), where he has authored several publications. Wayne served as PASBO’s president and was named Pennsylvania’s Outstanding Business Official in 2013.

After more than 28 years with the Southern York County School District, Wayne will retire at the end of the 2015-16 school year and join PASBO as the Director of Leadership and Development. Wayne will continue to serve as Executive Director of the Southern York County School District Foundation and as a member of the Susquehannock Alumni Council.

Thanks to Wayne McCullough ’76 for making us Warrior Proud!

Written by Dale Keagy.

View Comments (4)

• W

Wayne McCulloughApr 10, 2016 at 7:30 am

Thank you John. I appreciate your kind words and look forward to seeing you at Commencement 2016.

Reply
  • J

John BertholdApr 7, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Wayne, you have clearly done an outstanding job for the students and the Susquehannock athletic program. I am happy to hear that you will remain involved with the programs that you helped to establish at SHS and the school district. Best wishes in your new endeavors with PASBO.

Reply
  • W

Wayne McCulloughMar 25, 2016 at 8:19 am

Thank you Peggy. I appreciate your kind words. I look forward to continued work with the SYCSD Foundation and SHS Alumni Association – both of these organizations have great people and a worthy mission.

Reply
  • P

Peggy GantzMar 21, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Thanks for all you’ve done for Susquehannock, Wayne; I’ve especially enjoyed the newsletter and am glad it will continue. I’m sure you’ll continue to find success in all of your endeavors.

Reply
4