Great Tips for a Successful Job Application

A common question asked during an interview, interviewers look for why their appliers are interested in the job. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

By Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Filling out an application for a job can be a bit of a hassle, especially when you have never applied for one before. When students at Susky are in their junior and senior year, they tend to look for local jobs in Shrewsbury, New Freedom, Glen Rock and York.

For the students who struggle with applying for a job, here are 7 important tips, from Prospects.

Do Your Research

During a job interview, the interviewer will ask you questions that revolve around the company you’re looking to work for. Some of these questions could be about why employers should hire you, the most important thing that you want in a job, and any questions you have for them.

Applying for a job can be a struggle, but classes like Career Seminar get students adjusted to it. Photo by: Ariel Barbera
Applying for a job can be a struggle, but classes like Career Seminar teach students how to apply for jobs and prepare for interviews. Photo by Ariel Barbera

You want to know who you will be working for, and what you will be doing. On a company’s website, they will usually have a website about the different types of careers they offer. Scrolling through and reading about what you’re interested in is a good start to impressing your future boss.

Include Relevant Skills and Experience

On your job application, you want to put down the skills and experiences that relate to the position you are looking for. For example, if you’re applying to be a cashier, then you would most likely be putting down math as a skill. If you’re applying for a cashier, you wouldn’t want to put down swimming as a skill or experience.

When putting skills on your application, you need to be careful about what you write down. When you go into an interview, the interviewer will ask you about the skills you mentioned, and you will need to be prepared to talk about them.

Show Your Personality

The manager looks for academic abilities when it comes to hiring, but they also look for personality. You don’t want to sound like you’re not impressed with the business by putting bland words and sentences down. You want to make yourself look educated, as well as sounding upbeat and ready to advance.

Interviewers look for the best applications and outgoing appliers. Photo by: Ariel Barbera
Interviewers look for the best applications and outgoing appliers. Photo by Ariel Barbera

Employers don’t want to hire grumpy people. They look for the most upbeat and happy employee to inspire a happy atmosphere around them. A huge tip during a job interview is to always keep a smile.

Double-Check Your Application

Make sure to proof-read your application before sending it into your employer. They will usually forgive you for one small grammar mistake, but if you have more than two, they’ll just skip over your application. As mentioned before, employers look for well-educated people to work their stations.

If you want to make sure your application is perfect, then it’s good to have a second pair of eyes to help you out. Before sending it in, you can always ask a friend or family member to proofread it for you.

Avoid Common Mistakes

Employers tend to look for a few common mistakes in applications. Other than grammar, these include repeating yourself, lying and skipping over a question.

Many students look for shifts at fast food companies. Photo by: Ariel Barbera
Many students look for shifts at fast food companies. Photo by Ariel Barbera

Lying is one of the worst mistakes on an application. Employers can easily double-check whether you’re lying by asking previous employers, teachers or even family members. Make sure to double-check, and make sure you don’t submit an application with several mistakes.

Sell Your Achievements

You don’t want to gloat about yourself, but you don’t want to make yourself look like you’re unsuccessful, either. Giving your future boss a few major achievements you’ve had in the past will definitely intrigue them.

Achievements come in all shapes and sizes. Academic accomplishments are huge and can include being in the NHS, achieving distinguished honor roll, or even winning an award at the end of the year for being best in the class. Sports honors are also recognized if you’re on a team. Employers always look for candidates that have had previous experiences with teamwork.

Advertisements for job openings can be found outside of the guidance office or outside of room 203. Photo by; Ariel Barbera
Advertisements for job openings can be found outside of the guidance office or outside of room 203. Photo by Ariel Barbera

Be Convincing

Applications are all about convincing employers that you’ve got what it takes to work for them. Without applications, you wouldn’t be called in to interview. It’s the application that begins your successful career path, and you need to be answering what they’re asking for on the application.

Listing achievements and proving you’ve got a high academic status is a definite way of convincing them, along with providing an uplifting personality. These are key things that employers are looking for.
For students who are looking for a local job right now, make sure to check out a list of businesses in Shrewsbury that are currently hiring teenagers at JobsForTeens.