The Week in News: The Highlights
March 11, 2016
Filed under News
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
News and entertainment have been the talk of this week. Check out the latest buzz:
Former First Lady Nancy Reagan Passes
Considered one of the most influential ladies of all time, Nancy Reagan passed away at age 94 on March 6. Her death was caused by congestive heart failure, as stated by ABC News. She is planned to be buried next to her husband, Ronald Reagan, who died in 2004. One of Nancy’s requests preceding her death was that people contribute to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Foundation rather than placing flowers by her grave, according to Fox News.
Disney World’s New Attractions
As major movie phenomenons rose up throughout the past several years, Disney World decided it was time to up their theme park game with these new additions:
- Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular– Coming this summer, this epic firework show will have
Star Wars fans awing left and right. Taking place in Hollywood Studios, this show will include lasers, special effects, and music from the movies.
- Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away– Going along with the “new” Star Wars theme, a theme park just for Star Wars is being added as part of the Disney World attractions in the near future. Until then, a Star Wars live show will travel throughout the parks with performances with characters from the movies.
- Frozen Ever After Boat Ride– Disney visitors will be able to take a boat ride across Epcot’s huge lake alongside Frozen characters. Ana and Elsa make a special appearance as well, allowing for meet and greet time.
- Turtle Talk With Crush & Finding Dory Characters– If you have any questions about the underwater
world or where Dory is, it’s time to talk to Crush, the sea turtle from Finding Nemo. His question session will be joined with Finding Dory characters in May.
- Kilimanjaro Safaris: After Dark– This daytime safari now extends into the night, where the sunset lighting allows for the enjoyment of seeing wildlife come to life after dark. Hyenas and African Dogs will be the newest members of the safari wildlife.
Whole Foods is Making Our Lives So Much Easier
Say no to wasting minutes of your life trying to peel an orange because Whole Foods has answered our prayers, according to Refinery29. This grocery store is now stocking their
shelves with pre-peeled oranges, individually sold in plastic containers. The fruit has the same, citrusy taste and is now more convenient to eat. These peeled oranges are being sold for $6, which may strike customers as a lot for an orange, but someone has to peel them, and thankfully, it’s not us.
Who’s in the Presidential Lead for Republicans and Democrats
After going through several primaries, the running candidates have been narrowed down on both sides, each having a specific candidate in the lead. The percentage of voters for each candidate according to USA TODAY are:
Republicans: Trump-36%, Cruz-25%, Rubio-22%, Kasich-17%
Democrats: Clinton-60.4%, Sanders-39.6%
Even “Foodies” Didn’t Know These Foods Existed
While the food trend of 2016 appears to be nothing but healthy, these three foods put the health craze to the test:
- Everything Bagel– Combining the salty and seedy everything bagel with sweet, fried dough may just be the next best donut creation since the cronut. Thanks to Manhattan’s West Village, this pastry combines dessert
and breakfast into one. The classic everything topping- sesame seeds, pepitas, poppyseeds and faint onion and garlic taste- are sprinkled on top of a frosted donut, giving that beloved sweet and salty taste. NYC is known for their crazy delicious desserts, and this Everything Donut is definitely making its way to the top.
- Funfetti Airhead– When you mix a classic childhood flavor with a classic childhood candy, what do you get? The funfetti airhead. This limited edition candy consists of a
vanilla flavor with colorful specks throughout it. Replicating funfetti frosting, this airhead doesn’t fail to bring that very sweet birthday cake flavor.
- Donut Cone– From waffle cones, to pretzel cones, to pizza cones, it’s about time someone created the donut cone. A
bakery in Prague came up with this ingenious idea, and it won’t be long until these cones make their way to the U.S.