Students Compete in Annual Vans Competition

Last years shoes created by students.

Photo Courtesy Wesley Myers

Last year’s shoes created by students.

Four students were given the opportunity to show-off their artistic abilities for the annual Vans competition.

This is a national competition where students from all over the country compete to design the most creative pair of Vans shoes. Each school that registers receives four complimentary pairs of Vans, so each school can compete in the four different categories: art, music, action sports and local flavor.

Although some schools have groups of students working on a pair of shoes, art teacher Wesley Myers and photography teacher Wade Bowers felt it would be best to have four individuals be recognized for their talents instead.  Senior Dan Pergrin, senior David Gallegos, junior Dana Harpster and sophomore Stevie King were  chosen to design the shoes.

Students do not necessarily have to make the shoes wearable. They can just use the shoes as a base.
Photo courtesy Wesley Myers

Myers decided to switch up who had the chance to design the Vans this year.

“There’s been many years where it’s just been four seniors,” said Myers. “But this year I felt like there were some strong seniors but also some strong underclassmen that I wanted to reward as well. So far the two underclassmen are doing very, very well.”

After finishing the shoes, contestants will send in pictures of their shoes to Vans by April 8 who will then judge the shoes to decide the top fifty winners. From there, those selected will be posted online for a public vote. The winning school will receive $50,000 for their art program, along with a chance that one of the shoes produced by the school will be for sale at Vans stores and online.

Pergrin likes that Vans holds this competition for schools every year.

“I like that it’s a Vans contest because Vans is a very well-known shoe company that I’ve had a lot of pairs of shoes of,” said Pergrin. “It’s just really cool to have the opportunity to put art on a pair of shoes.”

Students have free reign to use their artistic abilities on the Vans
Photo Courtesy Wesley Myers

Pergrin will be competing in the action sports category and is thinking of incorporating many different mediums as well as either skateboarding or snowboarding into the plan for his shoes.   

Harpster is glad to take part in this competition.

“[I feel] really great [to have this chance]. It’s a special opportunity, and I would love to try and give my talent towards letting us win,” said Harpster. “I’m overwhelmed… I really want us to do well in the competition.”

The Art Department is excited to have the chance to display artwork from some very talented students and hopes to be chosen to move onto the next level in the competition.