Paules Makes it into All-State Vocal Jazz

Paules is an active member in choir and Chanticleer

Photo Courtesy Kaleb Fair

By Logan Garvey, Editor-in-Chief

After not making it to districts, sophomore Brendan Paules has made a comeback by making it into Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA) All-States Jazz Ensemble Program which will be held in the Hershey Lodge & Convention Center March 31 to April 2.  

This conference will be a time where students from all across the state will come together in one place to share their love for music.

Although most of the time will consist of constant rehearsing, these musicians will have a chance to go to the exhibit hall where  colleges and music vendors will be.

Choral director Jay Althouse feels that Paules really deserves to be a part of all-state jazz.

“[I feel] elated [that Brendan made it to all-states],” said Althouse. “The fact that he’s a sophomore, and he made [it into] all-state vocal jazz is incredible.”

Paules is a singer for the Jazz Band.
Photo courtesy Jay Althouse
Paules is a singer for the Jazz Band.

In order to be eligible for all-states, a student must be in tenth grade or higher.

Althouse holds weekly lessons with Paules and has seen his voice grow and improve during their practices.

“[Paules’ voice is] smooth, it’s sultry in a way and it’s smoky,” said Althouse. “If you think of a star that we know of it’s Michael Buble’s voice…it’s just very chill; very calm.”

Sophomore Kaleb Fair also feels that Paules is exceptionally talented with his voice.

“I think it’s awesome [that he’s made it to all-states],” said Fair. “He totally deserves it. He is extremely talented and works very hard.”

At this year’s conference, Grammy-nominated Jeremy Fox will be directing the vocal jazz concert at PMEA All-States this year.

Sophomore Brendan Paules is looking forward to learning from Fox.

“I’m really excited to work with the director because he is Grammy-nominated, and I listened to a lot of his music,” said Paules. “He is really talented, so I’m excited to see what he can teach me about vocal jazz.”

Although he doesn't look at this as a serious job in the future, Paules enjoys singing as a hobby.
Photo courtesy Jay Althouse
Although he doesn’t look at this as a serious job in the future, Paules enjoys singing as a hobby.

Fox has earned his B.M. degree in Piano-Jazz Studies from Western Michigan University and his M.M. as well as a D.M.A. in Jazz Composition from the Frost School of Music at the University of Miami.

He has also dealt with students and their teachers when he was the director of the SWCC Vocal Jazz Fest from 2002-2010 and is planning on dealing with groups again this summer during the thirteenth annual SMV Vocal Jazz Camps located throughout the United States and Canada.

Overall, Paules is ecstatic for PMEA All-States and is looking forward to using this as a learning experience to improve his voice.