Susky High Turns 64

By Katelin Tyler, News Editor

image
Susquehannock High School’s entryway now faces in the opposite direction that it once was Photo by Katelin TylerThis year Susquehannock High School celebrates its year 64 of its establishment.

For 180 days we, as students, walk the same halls and see the same classrooms for 8 hours a day, making it hard to imagine it any other way. Only seeing four years of the school’s history,  we rarely consider its past.

This year Susquehannock High School celebrates year 64 of its establishment, meaning 64 graduating classes before us  had totally different experiences than we have had.

While only experiencing four years out of the 64,  students never get to see the school drastically grow over a long period of time.

Just a handful of  former students from previous years will return as alumni teachers at the high school, and they can see how the culture and building have changed.

image copy 2
Susquehannock High School shows warrior pride. Photo by Katelin Tyler

Art teacher Wesley Myers attended Susky and has come back 6 years later to fulfill his job as an art teacher. Myers started as a freshman at the high school in 1999 and graduated in 2003. Myers has been teaching at the high school for 7 years now.

“The differences when I went to school was there was no turf or field house. There was also not a tower staircase. Also, at the end of the day we got out at 2:29 instead of 2:44, we also had Pizza Hut and Subway in the cafeteria every day,” said Myers.

First-year math teacher Elizabeth Surguy graduated from the high school in 2009 and now returns to the high school with a different perspective.

“The school has more teachers than we had, and there is also more technology in the school…” said Surguy.

With times constantly changing, former student Sarah Tyler, who graduated in 2013, notices that the way students are being taught has changed in just three years.

image copy
Every student now has a Chromebooks to further their education. Photo by Katelin Tyler

“I’ve heard about the Chromebooks that were given out to every student, which is different because when I was in high school we did not have individual laptops to learn on and always have it to use whenever. I also see that some of the teachers that I had are no longer there, and there are new teachers there to replace [them]….,” said Tyler.

The high school has come a long way since it first opened.