FX brings a cult hit back for a second spooky season

Everyone likes a good scary movie, and for FX’s American Horror Story, the network is finding success.

In the show’s first season, it gained a cult following with its tension building moments, cliff hanger episode endings, and classic horror movie scenes.

What makes this show different from a regular scary show is its plot line. The first season was a new experience for viewers with each episode jumping from time period to time period in one house, allowing the audience to piece together the mysteries of the murders and ghost haunting there.

However for those that think they have the plot down for this next season, they could not be more wrong.

The show has gone a whole new route for this new season, bringing back some familiar actors but scrapping the whole concept of the original season.

A returning fan is senior Abbey Jankalski, who is tuning in for the new season.

“I like that they kept some familiar actors for viewers,” said Jankalski.

This new style is so different that award ceremonies such as the Emmy Awards  have cited it as a miniseries, rather than a drama or network television show.

For returning fans however, this new setup is not a disappointment and has really matched up with all the anticipation that the show has been getting.

As season two starts, the setting is introduced as Briarcliff Manor, a mental hospital run by the church in the 1960s.

Senior Shannon McNeal has chose her favorite out of the two settings seen in the show.

“It’s a pretty good season so far,” said McNeal about this season’s surprise villains. “But I did like last season’s plot a little better.”

More secrets about the hospital are revealed each week, and the main mystery of the season appears to be who is indeed killing and mutilating local women.

One patient, Kit Walker, played by returning actor Evan Peters, is said to be the murderer, but when he is locked away, the viewer is slowly finding out the information that can set him free.  Knowing the patient is indeed not guilty and should be set free, leads to many angry viewers and yelling matches with the television.

“Peters is a great actor,” said Janklaski. “[He] is adorable and adds a lot of talent to the show.”

Other questions are brewing for the season: which patients are truly guilty of insanity? What is being stored in the woods? Are the secrets in the woods what is making one of the nuns go mad? Is the doctor actually the murderer after all?

With so many loose ends, viewers will be tied to their couches each week.  For most shows, so many separate plot points would be overwhelming and unenjoyable, but, surprisingly, for this asylum story, it is not.

Each episode is like fitting together a puzzle, making it more captivating than anything.  It’s this mesmerizing style that gets the viewer so wrapped up in the episode that the scares hit harder than most shows in the horror genre, such as The Walking Dead

As good as the show is, the one disadvantage is its quick pace.

“It’ hard to follow when you miss an episode,” said McNeal, “Something important happens in each one.”

No fear, for viewers with onDemand; the show is available on the network and can also be found online for those who don’t have that cable service or a friend to share and watch with.

For a good set of scares and a nice steady story line, one can tune in on Wednesday nights at 10:00 pm on the FX network to see what all the hype is about.

References Available Upon Request*