Susquehannock Works Towards Better Learning

Photo by the author.

Susquehannock is known as a school in which students learn and thrive thanks to both their teachers and their peers. If a student does not first succeed in the classroom, there are a plethora of other ways to understand a difficult concept.

The Susky Writing Center

Led by seniors Bella Gilbert and Megan Longerbeam, the Susky Writing Center emulates college writing centers all over the country by providing peer guidance on any type of student writing.

The center, located in the library, is equipped with twelve upperclassmen tutors throughout the entire school day and immediately after school. Students make appointments to receive help on any piece of writing, not limited to English assignments.  

Susky Writing Center tutors keep track of tips and tricks. Photo by the author.
Susky Writing Center tutors keep track of tips and tricks for future reference. Photo by the author.

Librarian Kayse Corrieri oversees the program and has trained tutors to advise, not directly edit students’ papers so that the writing is still that of the student it was assigned to.

“[Our goal is] to provide students one-on-one help from trained tutors in any stage of the writing process to help improve abilities and become more effective writers,” said Corrieri.

Sign up for a twenty-minute appointment during your study hall or lunch here under MLA and Writing Tools.

The Math Center

Another a new program, the Math Center is located in the library lab and is open almost every period of the day.

With upperclassmen who take courses like AP calculus and AP statistics working as tutors, the center aims to assist students in any type of math class they are taking.

Math teacher Chris Newland has headed the program with the help of other instructors in the math department.

“[My goal is] to help as many students as possible,” said Newland. “It’s good for the students to help other students.”

If you find yourself struggling with a polynomial function or y=mx+b form, stop by the Math Center or speak to JC Lewis in room 226.

Science Tutoring and Office Hours  

When students struggle in class, there are other options to learn the material. Photo by the author.

Science teachers Gregory Brobst and Jennie Bonitz have spearheaded a program to assist underclassmen science students with the help of their advanced classes.

“Chemistry is a difficult subject, especially for freshmen, and so we wanted to provide as many opportunities as possible for the freshmen to get help,” said Brobst. “We need to make sure they are understanding the material, and also, we wanted to give our upperclassmen the opportunity to help out in the community.”

After-school sessions are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays with upperclassmen tutors, most of whom are currently in an AP science class themselves. Students also come to science classes to give a different perspective to the material being learned.

For more information about getting help with science work, contact Brobst in room 221 or Bonitz in room 223.

Foreign Language Help

Advanced language students led by their instructors offer tutoring both during the school day, before school, or during after-hours.

Senior Elizabeth Vesper, who is enrolled in Spanish V, spends some of her time helping younger students understand material anywhere from Spanish I to Spanish III.

“I think Spanish tutoring is important for young students because sometimes all an underclassman student will need is a little bit of encouragement and help with their study skills in order to help their overall comprehension of the language,” said Vesper.

Both Spanish and French have upperclassmen tutors who you can access through your instructor. For Spanish help, contact Michaele Rayburn in room 211, and for French help, contact Stephanie Myers in room 212.