Learn Military Basics from ‘NEXT’ Magazine

By Ariel Barbera, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

'NEXT' Magazine has helped students all across the state plan out their future careers. Photo by: Ariel Barbera
‘NEXT’ Magazine has helped students all across the state plan out their future careers. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

If you are a student trying to join the military, then this is the guide for you, according to  NEXT magazine’s guide to Military Basics.

Military Basics

NEXT gives out simple basics on how students could join the military and information on the different branches, which include the Army, the Marine Corps, the Navy, the Air Force and the Coast Guard.

The Army is described as “a powerful fighting force that protects U.S security.”  According to NEXT, there are over 700,000 members of the Army and more than 150 career opportunities that span various fields, including aviation, IT, healthcare, and aircraft maintenance for joining members.  Boot camp spans for around 10 weeks.

The Marine Corps are described as “the first force to fight in most conflicts.” According to NEXT, there are over 187,000 members of the Marine Corps and career fields include warfare, aviation, transportation, logistics and engineering.  Boot camp spans for around 12 weeks.

The Navy is described as “the defender of the free travel and trade of the world’s oceans.”  According to NEXT, there are over 326,000 members of the Navy, and there are over 60 career fields.  Some of these fields revolve around being sailors, scientists, artists and aviators.  Boot camp spans for around 7-9 weeks.

'NEXT' Magazine offers basics on how to join the military and which branch is right for you. Photo by: Ariel Barbera
‘NEXT’ Magazine offers basics on how to join the military and which branch is the right one for you. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

The Air Force is described as “the protector of U.S interests worldwide with a focus on air power.”  According to NEXT, there are over 300,000 members of the Air Force and career fields include piloting, flight crew, mechanics, electronics, technicians, air traffic controllers and medical staff.  Boot camp spans for around 8.5 weeks.

The Coast Guard is described as “the protector of our nation’s waterways.”  According to NEXT, there are over 40,000 members of the Coast Guard, and career fields include IT, law enforcement, engineering and environmental science.  Boot camp spans for around 8 weeks.

NEXT gives off a brief rundown on enlisting in the military.  In order to join the military, you need to be a U.S. citizen or resident alien, be at least 17 years or older, have a high school diploma, pass a physical exam and pass the ASVAB.

The ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) helps identify your strongest skills and career paths.  Your score will determine if you’re able to enlist, and it can qualify you for specialty jobs or signing bonuses.

Basic training for the military, otherwise known as “boot camp,” is where all recruits go through to prepare for physical, mental and emotional problems while serving in the military.  Each branch’s training program varies in length and is customized for specific roles.

'NEXT' Magazine is full of tips on how to join the military. Photo by: Ariel Barbera
‘NEXT’ Magazine is full of tips on how to join the military. Photo by: Ariel Barbera

A career in the military will provide education, leadership skills, management and communication training.  These are special skills that simple textbooks won’t be able to teach.  Joining the military gives new members a whole new experience with these skills and even helps train them for problems they may experience later in life.

If the military is the career path you are looking forward to choosing, then make sure to contact a recruiter in order to get more details on which branch you’re interested in joining.

NEXT magazines can be found at the guidance office, while more information can be found at PAnext.com.