The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

Boys Basketball: Week in Review

Senior Josh Stoneberg bringing down the ball for the Warriors. Photo by Mike Inkrote.

Ally Kerr, Assistant Sports Editor

Coming back from holiday break well rested, the boys basketball team played three division games to mark the middle point of its season.

Due to suspensions and one injury, the Warriors were down four key players at the beginning of the week, impacting the outcome of the first two games. Until the four return, many of the underclassmen are stepping up to fill their spots.

Junior guard Adam Hedgeland looks to pass during a game. Photo by Mike Inkrote.

The team began the week at West York on Monday where players suffered a 67-22 loss against the Bulldogs.

Junior guard Chase Summers stepped up to fill one of the missing starter’s positions on Monday night.

“It was a rough game, and we felt really defeated, but that only motivated and inspired us to come out on Tuesday to play better against Dover,” Summers said.

On Tuesday, the Warriors hosted the Eagles in a heartbreaking 47-43 loss in overtime.

With about two minutes left in the fourth quarter and down by five, junior guard Adam Hedgeland fired up a three pointer to make it a two-point ball game. Sophomore forward Jake Mahan scored a layup to tie the game and forced an overtime with the Eagles.

Junior forward Peyton Reider scans the court during a game. Photo by Mike Inkrote.

Junior forward Peyton Reider was a key player in Tuesday’s game with a total of eight rebounds, two deflections, two steals, and five points.

“The game went better than we expected, especially because we were missing three guys… coming back from West York the team felt like it was a really bad loss, and we played harder knowing that we didn’t want to feel that way again,” Reider said.

Finishing the week of division play, the team lost a close game to Kennard-Dale, 49-48.

The gymnasium was loud and filled as the two teams battled back and forth throughout the game on Friday night.

Senior captain Josh Stoneberg hopes that next week will go better.

Sophomore guard Jordan McMillion getting ready to run a play during a game. Photo by Mike Inkrote.

Sophomore guard Jordan McMillion gets ready to run a play during a game. Photo by Mike Inkrote.

“Being down three to four players this week really hurt us…now that everyone is back and healthy, we’re just going to come back on Monday with a fresh start to a new week of games,” Stoneberg said.

The Warriors bounced back after a rough week of losses with a 58-48 win against Littlestown on Monday, January 11. 

The team will travel to Gettysburg on Tuesday night to play another division game at 7:30.