“More than best friend” blues

The “friend zone” is not just a show on MTV; it’s the horrible phrase used to describe those awkward best friend crushes.

It happens to every one at least once, whether it be in Middle school or High school, every guy or girl has had a little more than friend feelings for their best friends.

The saddest part of this common scenario is the many times these friends feel the same way about each other.

Maybe the problem isn’t that your friend doesn’t feel the same way, it may be that either one of the two is too afraid to say how they feel.

A simple “I like you” is harder to sputter than one thinks; there is a lot on the line.

A whole friendship could be at risk with just a few simple words, but that nagging feeling in one’s chest won’t leave until it’s said.

One never wants to look back either and think of what could have been.

They have been countless times when two friends look at each other after feelings have past or one is in a relationship and say “yeah, I liked you too” or “you should have told me! I felt the same way.”

No one is saying one needs to plan some elaborate date to tell him or her how you feel, it just needs to be said.

Sit them down, tell them that you don’t want anything to change, and that their friendship means too much to them to lose, but you have something you need to share.

Let them know that it is because of your close friendship that you can’t keep everything hidden, that you have to let them know that you have more than platonic feelings.

If you’re feeling bold, say that you were hoping they’d give you the chance, and ask if they felt the same way.

There’s a lot on the line, but life is about risks and avoiding future regrets.  One of the worst regrets is not saying or admitting something when you had the chance.

Take this as a sign, for every in the “friend zone” that has been waiting for the right moment, reading too far into every text or hug; this is your chance.

It’s all about the guts and the courage, get yourself out of the “friend zone.”