Students Set Sights on 2016

Photo made by Ally Kerr.

By Ally Kerr, Reporter

With 2015 coming to an end and 2016 quickly approaching, students are beginning to generate some New Year’s Resolutions for the new year.

Freshman Bre Kaiser smiles during her Intro to Video Production class. Photo by Ally Kerr.

With almost two marking periods out of the way, freshman Breanna Kaiser wants to do better in the classroom for the rest of the year.

“My New Year’s Resolution is to get better grades because I sometimes don’t study as much as I should. I sometimes just wing it during tests,” Kaiser said.

Sophomore Jackson Murphy hopes to save money in the New Year.

“In 2016 I want to be more responsible with my money. I want to be able to save money instead of spending it all right away like I usually do, so that I don’t have to ask my parents for it,” Murphy said.

Sophomore Nate Hunsinger "flexes" so that he can start his transformation for the new year. Photo by Ally Kerr.
Sophomore Nate Hunsinger “flexes” so that he can start his transformation for the new year. Photo by Ally Kerr.

Nate Hunsinger, a sophomore on the swim team, has some physical goals for himself.

“My New Year’s Resolution this year is to get a varsity letter in swimming and to gain muscle. I want to gain muscle so that I am stronger in swimming and to just physically look better, and I want a varsity letter so that I can get a varsity jacket,” Hunsinger said.

As a senior who just moved in the district, Jackie Provost wants to be able to make the most out of her last (yet first) year at Susquehannock with her friends.

“For 2016, my goal is to get a job so that I can have money for fun, extra things that my friends and I would want to do during our free time. It would also be nice to have some money to put into a savings account for college,” Provost said.

Another senior thinking about college is Maggie Kaliszak. Kaliszak has been visiting a handful of colleges and realizes that she has to make a decision at some point.

Senior Jackie Provost using her time wisely during her study hall. Photo by Ally Kerr.

“My New Year’s Resolution is to get motivated to figure out what college I’ll be attending next fall. I don’t want to have to worry about it later this school year,” Kaliszak said.

College is not cheap for anyone, so senior Matt Barnhart wants to get some financial aid.   

“My New Year’s Resolution is to apply for college scholarships and to eat healthier because they will both prepare and help me for the future as I go to college,” Barnhart said.

With one season under her belt on the JV team, sophomore lacrosse player Kelly Porter plans to work harder to play on varsity.

“My goal this upcoming lacrosse season is to play on varsity, so I’m going to try my best to go to all of the off season trainings, where I’ll work really hard, so that I can earn a spot on the varsity team,” Porter said.

Senior Matt Barnhart is excited for 2016.
Senior Matt Barnhart is excited for what 2016 has to offer.

Freshman Kenna Hancock is in accelerated classes this year like Pre-AP History, so she wants to get better grades in those classes.

“I have a lot of studying I should be doing for my harder classes, so for the new year I plan on studying more so that my grades in those classes can go up because that will really help my GPA,” Hancock said.

An active athlete, junior Maddie Tomasic has played field hockey and softball every year of her high school career so far. This year, however, she hopes to make the varsity softball team.

“My New Year’s Resolution is to make the varsity team because I think I’m ready for it from my past two years with JV. We have batting practices every Thursday at Windy Hill, so I plan on going to those when they start back up after the holidays,” Tomasic said.

Junior year is the big year for students to start going on college visits and deciding what they want to do after high school. Chase Summers began this process this past summer and hopes to make a decision in 2016.

“I already visited some like Richmond and Elon and others down south, but I definitely want to see some more, and I don’t know yet but I’m thinking about playing either football or baseball somewhere. Hopefully, I’ll make a decision late summer-early fall in 2016,” Summers said.

People like to have a goal or resolution going into the new year because it gives them a fresh start that will hopefully lead them to a better year.