Aevidum Branches Out

By Dan McNair, Video Editor

After the launch of the Aevidum program at Southern Middle School (SMS) last school year, the organization is tackling its largest project to date.

Keeping with Aevidum’s pervasive objective of promoting an “I’ve got your back” atmosphere, members are currently in the final stages of building a unique “closet.”

At the Aevidum closet students-in-need can purchase clothing, school supplies and sports equipment for a reduced price or no cost.

In a recent Warrior Chat show, SMS Aevidum President Spencer Beran noted that the project required a lot of commitment, but that it was all worthwhile in order to support students-in-need. All donations of gently-used clothing, sports equipment, and school supplies are welcome.

The Aevidum Closet is in the final stages of construction and is set to open within several weeks.

In order to fund the closet, Aevidum hosted a fall-themed festival at the middle school.

The Aevidum closet has been the organization’s largest project thus far, but new ideas are already in the making.

SMS Guidance Counselor Jason Katz comments on a new subset of the Aevidum program.

“We’ve had a lot of kids transfer into the school from the beginning of the year through now… We do a number of activities for students who are new to the school such as constructing a welcome sign on their locker, providing a tour to them and their families. We have an information sheet for new students that members created, also facilitating lunch buddies. It’s a way to welcome the new student, since they already have an enormous amount of pressure moving in”.

Aevidum at the middle school has since branched out to the high school, but students and advisors are also collaborating with counselors at the local elementary schools to infuse Aevidum’s message into 5th and 6th grade classrooms.

Southern Middle School Guidance Counselor Lisa Hall explains Aevidum’s affiliation with the elementary schools.

“They’re looking at how to incorporate the concepts of Aevidum into their 5th and 6th grade… in terms of helping students understand the importance of having each other’s backs and getting them ready to embrace Aevidum when they come to the middle school.”

Once the closet is up and running, Aevidum will move on to another planned, large project.

The new Aevidum “Wall of Fame” will be located outside of the guidance office. On the “Wall of Fame,” students will be allowed to acknowledge one another for achievements in activities that are not typically related to school.

Once again, all donations to the Aevidum Closet of gently used clothing, school supplies and sports equipment can be brought to Lisa Hall at the SMS Guidance Office.