Club Gets in the Spanish Spirit

By Karly Matthews, Editor-in-Chief

With visions of conjugations in their heads, Spanish Club members met to decorate cards for hospital patients and receive long-awaited t-shirts just in time for the holidays.

In regards to giving back, Spanish club officers decided to create holiday cards to be donated to Cards for Hospitalized Kids, which is based in Chicago.

Vice president and senior Megan Longerbeam has seen a lot of growth for the club this year in regards to its activities benefitting others.

Senior Aleyda Angeles picks out her decorations. Photo by Karly Matthews.

“[I’m looking forward to] seeing where else this club can go, and seeing what else we can do for people in the community,” said Longerbeam.

With some research, senior Ashley Cox, club president, found the charity, which publicized a need for cards written in Spanish.

“We’re giving back to the community the best that we can,” said Cox.

To the tune of Spanish holiday music, club members decorated away with supplies provided by club officers. Writing messages like “Feliz Navidad” (Merry Christmas) and “Mantenerse Fuerte” (stay strong), students spread holiday cheer to those who are sick during the course of the holidays.

Senior and public relations officer Lizzie Vesper sees the value in these charitable activities for both the club and school in general.

“It’s a good activity to get us all together and celebrating [the holidays],” said Vesper.

Just in time for Christmas and other winter holidays, the club will be mailing the cards to be distributed to patients all around the country.  

Senior club officers Lizzie Vesper, Ashley Cox, Karly Matthews, and Megan Longerbeam pose in their new club t-shirts. Photo by Nick Schiffgens.

During this meeting, students also received t-shirts they ordered near the beginning of the year, bringing a sense of unity to existing club members. The club hasn’t had shirts in a couple years, so members looked forward to displaying their club pride.

“I think it makes us more excited and ready to go,” said Vesper. “I think it puts us in the ‘Spanish spirit.’”

In the future, Spanish Club plans to participate in the Pulsera Project, an organization that sells bracelet-making kits that benefit the Nicaraguan poor. Join the club for its first meeting of the New Year on January 14 after school in Mr. Schiffgens’ room.