The Lion’s Club Welcomes The Leo Club

The officers of the Lion’s Club discussing project topics. Photo by Ally Kerr.

By Ally Kerr, Reporter

Members from the Community Service Club jumped at the opportunity to attend the New Freedom Lion’s Club meeting on Tuesday, December 1 at the New Freedom Community Center.

At the meeting, the club adopted the name “Leo Club” for the first time, making New Freedom’s Leo Club one of the two only Leo Clubs in York County.

President Abby Ferraro and Vice President Ellie Holloway at the meeting. Photo by Ally Kerr.

Senior and president Abby Ferraro attended the meeting on Tuesday night along with five other members, where they all took part of the discussion and gained some knowledge on the Lions and Leo Club.

“The group of people in the Lions Club are very excited to be working with us and are really willing to help us anywhere they can, and I think that’s really nice and a good way to get started with the club,” Ferraro said.

Senior Lexi King was also present at the meeting.

“They [the Lion’s Club] were really welcoming and you could just tell that they want to be involved with us,” said King.

The meeting was held to discuss new projects for the Leo Club to get involved in throughout the remainder of the school year. Some projects discussed were children’s eyesight screenings for families who cannot afford eye appointments for their children, Family Fun Night at the Community Center, the Blood Drive, a yard sale, having a carnival stand during the 4th of July carnival, and donating children’s books to local hospitals or shelters.

Following the meeting, Ferraro spoke with club advisor Jack Stoneberg about the different projects that were suggested from the members of the Lion’s Club. With the holiday season approaching, Ferraro plans on having the club get involved with the community.

Some of the projects that were suggested from the Lion's Club for the Leo Club to do. Photo by Ally Kerr.
Some of the projects that were suggested from the Lion’s Club for the Leo Club to do. Photo by Ally Kerr.

“Right now we are working on projects to do for the holiday season, so we are going to meet and introduce some ideas at our next meeting (Friday, December 11) and hopefully we can get something rolling,” Ferraro said.

Even though the club has not chosen a specific project to do for the holiday yet, Stoneberg believes that the students should have already been helping out and getting involved with the community.

“My objective is for the students to just be a good person all of the time, whether they’re helping with any of the community projects, opening a door for someone, or helping their neighbors or elderly, and just doing the right thing 24/7, especially over the holidays,” Stoneberg said.

The school has done multiple fundraisers for the community, including a canned food drive, which Stoneberg thinks they will do again this year. However, Stoneberg also wants the students to come up with new projects that the school has not already done yet.

“We’ve done a lot of school-wide projects, and I think it’ll be neat if we could think of a project that’s new and unique to make the holiday season even more special to those who need it most,” Stoneberg said.

During the meeting on Friday, the club will decide on the project(s) they want to do for the holiday season and will begin organizing it, so that they can start benefiting the community.