NHS Inducts New Members

By Jake Smith, Assistant Editor-in-chief

Under the lights of the auditorium, dozens of the district’s brightest juniors and seniors became members of the National Honor Society, ready to begin the next chapter of the high school’s history.

For the first time ever, students were admitted into the organization, which focuses on community involvement, halfway through junior year.

Addy Schefter, one of the juniors who joined NHS on Tuesday, is supportive of the change.

“I felt honored because now I’m a role model for the student body,” said Schefter. “[Being in NHS] is going to motivate me to give back more.”

The inductions started with speeches by current NHS members and officers.

Stephen Rouse, vice president of NHS,  wrote a speech for the event and is proud of what the club will accomplish this year and beyond.

“With more students in NHS, there will be much more volunteer hours,” said Rouse. “We’ll accumulate way more volunteer opportunities in the society.”

After five speeches about the ideal characteristics of students, the new members were ready to finally join the ranks of the organization.

Senior Maggie Kaliszak delivers a speech to the inductees. Photo by the author.

Each new member walked to the front of the auditorium, shook the hand of club adviser James Sterner, and stood on a set of risers, proudly displaying their achievements.

Carsen Bateman, another new inductee, is looking forward to the future of NHS.

“All my work isn’t going to waste,” said Bateman. “It’s nice to see that [the school] appreciates all the good things our class has done.”

Senior and vice president of NHS Brigit Duffy lights a candle onstage. Photo by Julia DeLuca.
Senior and president of NHS Brigit Duffy lights a candle onstage. Photo by Julia DeLuca.

With the changes to NHS happening this year, the club now has over 120 members and is ready to make a bigger impact on the school.

“They’re good students, but they have to live up to the example that the seniors set for them,” said Rouse with a laugh.

NHS, by letting juniors join, has become a new organization, filled with fresh and returning faces that are all ready to help the community thrive.