The student news site of Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania.

The Susquehannock Courier

A Turn Around Season For Football

The Warriors running onto the field before their game against Northern. Photo by Lifetouch.

Ally Kerr, Assistant Sports Editor

The football team ended their season on a high note by advancing their record to 5-5.

Throughout the past few years, the football team has been largely overlooked due to its losing record. However, the team turned that around this year.

Senior quarterback Josh Stoneberg looks for a pass against Northern. Photo by Lifetouch.

Senior Nick Chamberlin expected this outcome when he met Coach Wiles, the new head coach this past season.

“I think we were all hoping to go 5 and 5. It didn’t really seem like it was a reasonable idea at the beginning of the season because the morale was low, but once we met Coach Wiles and started talking to him and realized he was such a good coach, I think we realized it was possible,” Chamberlin said.

As well as Chamberlin, senior captain RJ Myers knew that this season was going to be different.

“We took [the season] a whole lot more serious this year. You could just tell that everybody was ready for it because we knew that it would be different,” Myers said.

Going into the season, the Warriors had the approach to focus more on the team rather than on their individual selves.

Senior captain Kevin Clapp had to take on leadership roles this season.

Senior Kevin Clapp carries the ball past a Northern defender. Photo by Lifetouch.

“I tried to set an example on the field and off the field by doing the right things and always working my hardest so that [the team] could accomplish our goals,” Clapp said.

Clapp concluded that this year was an improvement.

“This season was a building season, and we grew as a team. [I believe] going 5 and 5 is a great improvement, and it sets a positive precedent for teams in the future,” Clapp said.

The Warriors are graduating 10 senior starters this year, but Myers still expects the team to be successful.

“I expect them to do better. They can’t do anything less than districts because I know that they can make it that far,” Myers said.

Ending their football careers, the seniors turned around the program for teams in the future.

“We started a legacy at the school for a winning team, so hopefully they keep it going,” Chamberlin said.

This season was the first season since 2008 where the Warriors went at least .500.